Ideas needed ASAP

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
artiglio

Re: Ideas needed ASAP

#131 Post by artiglio »

Morning Ladies and Gents,

I've been following the thread with interest and will add my tuppence worth,

First I'm a southern based shooter to whom bisley is a 2 hour drive and so accessible easily for a day.
I'm a member of the NRA and NRASC as well as my local smallbore club which is NRA affiliated.
I would probably not have bothered joining the NRA but for the ability to book targets as an individual.
I thoroughly enjoy bisley and the help of those that run it, not to say it could not be better.
There is undoubtedly a institutional bias towards TR at the expense of just about all else. Surely any form of shooting fullfills the "promotion of marksmanship" requirement. there needs to be a realisation that a majority of new shooters are really not interested in shooting with jacket and sling.
It would be interesting to see what discipline most people shoot and am sure that with the Imperial stripped out a majority of rounds go down range from rifles with scopes from a bipod or rest.
Safe shooter cards should not be too onerous to obtain if you are a member of an affiliated club and as they now last 3-5 years hardly an obstacle to shooting.
Removing some of the barriers for members of affiliated clubs to book targets as individuals would be a step forward,though this should be at a slight premium to encourage NRA membership.
Siberia seems to be very popular and I believe in another thread there was mention of increasing the number of 100-300 yard point, if they were also covered as per Siberia 100,I'm sure they would be well used.
A NRA clubhouse with accomodation would no doubt be a considerable asset, as would upgrading toilet blocks, though obviously everything these days is expensive.
On the subject of cost a days shooting with markers is for most of us an expensive treat if you cannot find at least another 2 people to share with, is it possible to set up a target sharing calendar/notice board on line?
Though it must be said that the NRASC days are excellent value for money well run and with weekend and midweek shoots should provide access for many shooters.
With regard to the NRA as a national body without provision of additional range access in the north and midlands and (or) a tie up with other organisations, it would be better to state bluntly and honestly that it will remain a bisley rifle association for the forseeable future, unless they win the lottery.

Many thanks to Ian , Karen and Heather for the insight they have provided and hopefully the NRA and Bisley are on a path of recovery. Personally I would encourage anyone who can shoot at bisley more than half a dozen times a year to join but if you cannot then I really don't see why you would.

All the best Phil
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#132 Post by dromia »

artiglio wrote: With regard to the NRA as a national body without provision of additional range access in the north and midlands and (or) a tie up with other organisations, it would be better to state bluntly and honestly that it will remain a bisley rifle association for the forseeable future, unless they win the lottery.

Absolutely and I'm convinced that that would win the respect of many gun owners.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#133 Post by M99 »

Phil's idea of members of NRA affiliated clubs, who already hold the SCC being able to book targets (At a slightly higher price - bonus of membership) is a great idea and surely a money earner for the NRA?

It would open the ranges up to more users instantly and they would already hold SCC, coming from an affiliated club. A few trips to Bisley this way would probably encourage more to join the NRA outright, just for the saving on targets - the trick is getting them through the door in the first instance and I think Phil's idea is a winner.

Mike
Christel
Site Admin

#134 Post by Christel »

Here enters the insurance question.

The reason why we have to be members of the NRA in order to book a target is because of the insurance, without the membership you are not covered unless of course you have insurance from elsewhere. Your local club does not insure you when on a NRA shoot because you are not on club ground.
Christel
Site Admin

#135 Post by Christel »

In regards to the calendar mentioned,

www.full-bore.co.uk/webcal

Use it to arrange target share?

Plot your club shoots in when it is a guest day?
Sandgroper

#136 Post by Sandgroper »

christel wrote:Here enters the insurance question.

The reason why we have to be members of the NRA in order to book a target is because of the insurance, without the membership you are not covered unless of course you have insurance from elsewhere. Your local club does not insure you when on a NRA shoot because you are not on club ground.
Artiglio said
Removing some of the barriers for members of affiliated clubs to book targets as individuals would be a step forward,though this should be at a slight premium to encourage NRA membership.
That preminum could be to cover the insurance and the admin costs plus a small profit for the NRA.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
artiglio

#137 Post by artiglio »

Afternoon Christel,

Aaah, I thought that as a member of an affiliated club you benefitted from NRA insurance, which as Ian pointed out earlier was a reason many clubs are affiliated, or have I read it wrong? Surely there can not be much difference to a single member of an affiliated club shooting at bisley alone and a group turning up from same club.

cheers phil

ps, i say this because when I enquired about booking a single target as an affiliated member it was not possible, though had our club circulated a notice/email of an intended bisley shoot and booked a target and i was the only one to attend, then no problem.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#138 Post by dromia »

I understand that as an affiliated club the insurance covers your clubs range days on MoD ranges.

So if your club booked lanes at Bisley for a club shoot then you would be covered.

I stand to be corrected on this though, although if I am wrong then I wonder what the club insurance is for.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#139 Post by saddler »

One of the clubs I am in is affiliated, yet has NEVER booked an MoD range day in all the time I have been with them!!
HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

#140 Post by HeatherW762 »

Hi Guys & Gals,

Sorry I've been quiet recently but the events at work have kinds overtaken me a bit. It's Chris's last day here today and I'm a bit emotional - to say the least! :bad:

I have been reading however and I like a couple of the ideas that have come up and have started work on them. As soon as I can I will post info but I have to write papers to show they are viable first before I can say anything.

Heather
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)