Building your own black powder pistol

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Building your own black powder pistol

#11 Post by dromia »

A case with powder and primer alone is to all intents and purposes a blank.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

Yes it is, however if I place a projectile in front of the 'blank' does it become an S5 by virtue of the length of barrel and overall length or because it is loaded from the muzzle end is it a muzzle loader?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#13 Post by dromia »

Forgot, it was pistol you were making.

Yes that would look very much like a section 5 firearm, I think that you would have an argument on convincing them it wasn't section five. If you had the time, money and inclination it could be an interesting pastime for few years arguing it in court. Its always easier for them to say no than create even more grey areas.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Steve

#14 Post by Steve »

Im not excally experienced in front stuffers even though i have one myself,but one thing i do notice is the bigger calibres tend to be much more accurate.Someone i know has a .32 and despite trying different sized balls,lubricant,loads etc etc-he rarely hits an A4 sized target at 25mtrs.

.36 is better and 44 better still. :good:
Do or not do-there is no try.
Master Yoda
Doz
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Doz »

I have a .32 underhammer that might almost disprove that Steve! However, generally it seems to be the case that the smaller calibres are much more fussy and more difficult to shoot accurately rather than actually being inaccurate. Certainly seems to be the case with revolvers that the bigger calibres almost always walk off with the prizes.
EDIT: Added bit about revolvers...
Last edited by Doz on Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve

#16 Post by Steve »

Doz wrote:I have a .32 underhammer that might disprove that Steve! However, generally it seems to be the case that the smaller calibres are much more fussy and more difficult to shoot accurately rather than actually being inaccurate.
Yes,i suppose you're right really,but its getting everything correct which might take little or long time.Still might be better to stick with a larger calibre though as you have accuracy (sort of!) straight out of the box.*

*except if im shooting a pistol. :lol:
Do or not do-there is no try.
Master Yoda
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#17 Post by Ovenpaa »

Well I have had it confirmed, a cased load and primer with a separate projectile is going to be an Section 5 firearm so it was back to the drawing board.

Moving on I think I will use something like the Variflame system so I can at least use modern style 209 primers instead of the older type top hat primers, I have both in the locker so that is handy.

As to design, it will be something very similar in looks to this. The image is of a .40 Volcanic pistol, however I have shortened the barrel and magazine tube to be more in keeping with my design idea and raised the back breech area to make it work and sketched in the chamber on the right hand view.
mod left.png
mod right.png
To operate you would pull the lever under the barrel forwards, this allows the chamber to be opened, add the powder and a conical boolit, close the chamber and the lever springs back into place locking the chamber. Yes it is slow to load but I will be in no rush. I am thinking of either .360" as suggested by Dromia or .354" however it is down to the barrel I source. Material wise, a combination of silver finish and maybe more silver so stainless and aluminium. I did think of building the breech in brass which could be a nice alternative.

Now as to size...

I seem to remember we have a few pistol shooters of varying sorts on the forum. I need an idea of dimensions though for a decent sized pistol so if any of you get a spare moment would you mind photographing one with a rule in the picture for scale so I can get an idea of the ergonomics. Anything will do but I do prefer bigger framed things. If you have big hands please say so :grin:

Any thoughts from anyone at this stage?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal