Cartridge life

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Harrier1980

Cartridge life

#1 Post by Harrier1980 »

I have been given an old box of eley fourlong by my dad who found it in his garage. I reckon that they are probably older than me (42) as they were likely actually his dads.

I am guessing that the only thing to do is hand them in for disposal? or would they be ok to use?
Dave 101

Re: Cartridge life

#2 Post by Dave 101 »

Even better idea is to find a collector and sell them , as to the usability it all depends if they were kept dry or not . Old military ammo is still being used and some of that is over 100 years old .

Dave

http://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalog/CO ... IDGES.html
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

They should be fine if you have a .410 to use them with, if it is an unopened box and you have an SGC I would be inclined to just pop them away somewhere safe and wait a few years more.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Harrier1980

#4 Post by Harrier1980 »

ok, great, had never thought of selling them.

and yes, all above board. He gave me the .410 many years ago as I had a SGC, and he did not want to renew his.

He just keeps finding to odd box of cartridges every now and again.

having a look around, it is not really worth much, but I like it.
http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ ... -for-sale/
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

I should have a .410 adapter that goes into a standard 12 bore shotgun, just push it in and you can chamber and shoot .410.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Steve

#6 Post by Steve »

They'll either go bang or pop! :good:

Few years back i was given some Baikal cartridges which were older than me and they still fired ok...albeit a bit smokey.
Do or not do-there is no try.
Master Yoda
AL8

#7 Post by AL8 »

Harrier
a .410 can be a useful bit of kit in the right place. I have had mine for a very long time and would not dream of selling it.

Steve
I think it was the noise/shock wave from the cartridges that killed rather than the lead (sometimes you could see it as solid lumps)