Cumbria Shootings - decision

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Blu

Re: Cumbria Shootings - decision

#11 Post by Blu »

Just sat here and listened to the whole thing, all in all I'd say things aren't too bad. Not sure about getting GP's involved though. Couple of questions I'd raise are one, is a GP qualified medically to asses someones mental health.

For instance say one of you guys has an appointment with your GP at 4 PM, before that you have had a real bad day at work or at home, got stuck in traffic on the way to your appointment and when you get there even on time you are made to wait say another 35 Min's with kids crying around you and a room full of sick people.

Now taking all that into consideration by the time you see the doctor you may seem a little irate, (well hey you ain't feeling good either). That doctor doesn't know you have had a crap day and without saying anything misconstrues that as something else and flags it up.

Another thing although unlikely but hey you never know, what if you and your doc just don't like each other, the next doc closest to you might be miles away so your stuck with this doc. What if his opinion of you is biased and he thinks your an arrogant fool and probably nuts as well or what if he is just out and out anti gun.

Hey just throwing a couple of things out there is all.

Blu :twisted:
Mike2

#12 Post by Mike2 »

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Playe ... ingId=7279

You'll have to move the "slider" to about 03:48:30 to the start of the debate.

I know it's a three-hour debate, but it really is worth listening to it all when you have the time. This is important for the future of our sport.
Christel
Site Admin

#13 Post by Christel »

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... aunders.do

Mark Saunders did tell his GP about his drinking and his depression, the GP did not raise the flag as far as I can tell.
That is just as wrong as what Blu outlines could happen.

I am not sure the GP really should get involved. What annoys me is that the boundaries for ordinary shooters like the people on this forum is set by people who loose it. No new stricter laws nor regulations can stop them.
Blu

#14 Post by Blu »

Okay here's one and I know it was raised over on GT and folks weren't that impressed with the idea at the time. Over on GT it was discussed about the Police who issue you folks with the SGC and FAC's having access to medical records. A lot of people said no, OK fair enough so how about the Police having access to say some kind of mental health records only.

By that I mean that some sort of seperate database is set up that is used for mental health records only. If a GP refers a patient for mental health treatment the GP enters it into the database, even if the patient doesn't go for the treatment it's still there for the Police to see. Now by the Police I mean only the Police that issue the certificates for firearms.

So if someone applies or goes to renew the cops check the database for any entries and take it from there. I realise that someone with problems might not be on the database if they haven't sought treatment or seen a GP but it's a start. Again I realise that a lot of holes could be picked in this idea but that's the whole point of this, discussing it and then coming up with solutions to plug the holes. To me it is pretty pointless just dismissing this or something like it out of hand as there may come a time when folks have to come up with ideas. I guess I'm saying take an idea something like this and build on it.

The way I see it is, there are folks out there who want your guns, the situation there is way different to here, folks there may have to come up with something that doesn't play into the hands of the anti's.

Again just food for thought.

25Pdr

#15 Post by 25Pdr »

One of our new Members is having a problem with his FAC application. The Police have asked his Doctor for a report and the Doctor has refused saying "I don't think anybody should have guns" So his application is in limbo. GPs should not be compelled to give a opinion on FACs, in fact I think the BMA will refuse.

What is needed is to educate the public about firearms.The media has everybody scared when in fact the chances of being killed with a Firearm is almost zero.

People who are scared of Firearms will happily drive along the road with traffic coming towards them all day long with the constant threat of a head on crash and never bat an eye, also observe the antics of them at any crossing, dashing in front of 40 ton artics to save a few seconds.

A quick look at recent press reports on firearms shows that in every case they accompany their report with a photo of a handgun. They are nothing but a bunch of degenerate alcoholic walking afterbirths.

Who was it that said? "The typewriter is the most dangerous weapon ever"

Some of what they showed...
ImageImageImageImageImage
Blu

#16 Post by Blu »

25Pdr
What is needed is to educate the public about firearms
How many times did I say that over on GT? I banged on about it a couple of times, even came up with a few ideas on how to do it based on the stuff we do here. Most clubs here have open days where folks can shoot skeet and clays and small bore rifles. We have (compulsory) hunter safety classes for all budding young hunters, the legal hunting age here is 12 years old accompanied by an adult. That's just a couple of things.

With regards to your mate in limbo, is the letter from the Doc a legal requirement? Hey I'm not up on the rules there, I just go by what I learn on here. If it's a legal requirement couldn't he find another Doc who is a little more sympathetic.

See this is what I said about a Doc who is anti gun, far as I'm concerned if it's a legal requirement to have a Docs letter then it should also be a legal requirement that the Doc furnish that letter, the hell with his/her anti gun feelings.

Blu

#17 Post by Blu »

25 Pdr, I'd post some pics of my handguns mate but the last time I did that over on GT I got pelted with rotten tomatoes and told to sod off and take my lovely guns with me :D

Blu

#18 Post by Blu »

OK it's a nice day here, only -2C so I'm off to the range. Later Dudes and Dudette.

25Pdr

#19 Post by 25Pdr »

Go on Blu...Let us see your handgun Pics. Please :)

I don't know what happens if your Doc refuses to give a report, and neither,I think does the FEO. The Firearms Act(s) here are so mixed up, even the Licensing Dept get lost sometimes.

I'll give you an example...On my last Variation the licence came back with three rifles not listed, I went to see them and they didn't have any record of them, despite the fact I notify every transaction by recorded delivery. I then said well why don't you just key in the Ser.Nos. and you will see their history,(They came from within their force area), she said they had absolutely no record of them, explaining that they have just had a new computer system installed. This is for one of the biggest forces in the country.

Not blaming them, but if we can't understand the system, what chance has a wee office girl?
Robin128

#20 Post by Robin128 »

Just listened to it on Windows Media Player :)...no expert on Parliamentary procedure but today's debate sounded more like a formality of opening the firearms debate. I did note there were only about 20 people in attendence.

I also noted that there is likely to be a document sent to GPs when patients are granted FAC, and to consider tagging their computer file...a worry from the point of our security. Also, it seems that Council owned property (social housing) may have some restrictions placed on their tenants about whether firearms may be kept in such properties.

Sounded like this debate and decision making process will take about 2 months.

Anybody get a different/further take on it?

Rob