A discussion on the role of the NRA and it’s future.

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
Ovenpaa

A discussion on the role of the NRA and it’s future.

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I posted this as a reply to another thread in GoM but feel it warrants a thread of it's own.

The publics and shooters perception seems to be, probably rightly so that BASC is the representative body in such matters so let them be this. Personally I think the NRA should get on with doing what they are good at and that is organising and hosting some superb competitions at a good venue. Let the NRA maintain and further develop a role as our country national shooting competition organisation and that as a division of the shooting organisations within the UK.

If the NRA fully focus on this role there can be no confusion as to the function of it as an organisation nor the others.

Am I wrong to suggest such a thing, is it a fitting role for the NRA, does the NRA have other aspirations? Discuss.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: A discussion on the role of the NRA and it’s future.

#2 Post by dromia »

I have said my piece on the NRA in connection to the Horden tradgedy on another thread but I shall not contribute further lest it be construed that, and I am accused of, being an NRA basher.

NRA criticism does not seem to be welcomed so the spirit of such a debate cannot be fruitful.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

I am with Adam on this one.
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

dromia wrote:I have said my piece on the NRA in connection to the Horden tradgedy on another thread but I shall not contribute further lest it be construed that, and I am accused of, being an NRA basher.

NRA criticism does not seem to be welcomed so the spirit of such a debate cannot be fruitful.
I do not hide my view of the NRA and I whole heartedly support is an organisation however I do question it's perceived role within the UK shooting fraternity. In order for this to be balanced debate input is needed from both NRA and non NRA shooters. I for one would appreciate you comment and with that in mind I would ask that you do participate and I would appreciate your observations in this discussion Dromia.

Lets see if we can find a more fitting role for the NRA.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#5 Post by dodgyrog »

The first useful move for them would be to change their name to the Bisley Rifle Association and stop pretending it represents the majority of British shooters.
Either that, or divorce themselves from the running of Bisley and do the National remit properly based away from the South of England, preferably.
They are not big enough or financed well enough to do both.
Just my fourpenn'orth.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Michael Sproul

#6 Post by Michael Sproul »

Dromia, (without trying to sound like a cheeky bugger) you sound like a wise old fella and your arguments that I've read in the past have always been well constructed and sound, I'd also be interested in reading your views (and others on this forum) as I lack the experience to make a comment myself. If your views are taken as bashing I'd say this was a slight on them rather than yourself.
Sandgroper

#7 Post by Sandgroper »

When I was looking at an organisation to join, I asked several shooters I knew, about who to join. All of them said join BASC unless I going into keepering in which case join the SGA (Scottish Gamekeepers Association). All where very critical of the NRA, based on past performance with the various bans.

Even so I looked at the NRA website and could see nothing to recommend it to me. I was not a TR shooter (this seemed to be it's main focus 10 years ago when I was looking) and I would not get the benefit of Bisley for general shooting. So I went with BASC and I am very happy with them.

I am shooting more targets than game now, but I will be staying with BASC. This is primarily because I am happy with the service they provide, they are the biggest shooting organisation in the UK and they seem far more proactive. It is in this last point the NRA appears to let itself down. BASC may be releasing statments on behalf of all shooting bodies, but that isn't how it appears. Because the NRA appears to be silent, BASC is getting the publicity and to it's members, it's doing it's job - this is why I feel the NRA comes in for so much stick. BASC is winning the publicity game and in the end that will cost the NRA dearly.

I just looked at the NRA website and this what it said "Promoting Target Shooting Throughout the United Kingdom"

whereas BASC says
BASC is a national representative body for sporting shooting. We have five strategic objectives:

A strong and unified voice for shooting
All-party backing for shooting
High standards in shooting
Opportunity to go shooting
Balanced comment in the media

If you where new to shooting who would you rather join?

BASC may not be the best, but they seem to be capturing the attention of shooters and non-shooters alike.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
karen

#8 Post by karen »

dromia wrote:
Constructive criticism is always welcome but a lot of the criticism appears to be just because its the NRA!

Some of the comments I have received on here have been personally abusive and others have been abusive to hard working staff and volunteers who don't deserve it.

On a couple of occasions I have posted facts and certain people have decided not to believe me because it doesn't suit their own viewpoint.

By all means say "we don't like this about the NRA and we want you to do this" because that can be passed onto the powers-that-be. However comments such as "Oh dear, here we go again one step forward two steps back" don't really help anyone.

Karen
Gun Pimp

#9 Post by Gun Pimp »

Personally, I just wish we had an NRA more like the American one.

Bring down the cost of membership, ($30 in the US) get everyone joined-up and build ourselves an organisation that truly represents ALL shooters. A study was carried out a few years ago proposing that the major shooting bodies amalgamate - everyone seemed to think it was a good idea but it all came to nothing.

I would love to be an NRA member but what's the point? The NRA doesn't even recognise my discipline - benchrest - even though 29 other governing bodies worldwide do so!

The daftest thing for me is the NSRA/NRA thing - two national shooting organisations on the same site but worlds apart. Guys - you're doing exactly the same thing!!!!

I don't mind the Bisley base - they would need an office somewhere and Bisley is cheap and convenient - to London.

However, the NRA should not be involved in the day to day running of Bisley. If Bisley loses money it shouldn't bounce back on NRA members who never go near the place.
Gun Pimp

#10 Post by Gun Pimp »

I'm just listening to the 6.00 o'clock news as I type this "Britain's largest shooting organisation, BASC, made the following statement........" (about the latest shooting incident)

If anyone from the NRA heard that, I'd like to know what they thought.

If the BBC go to BASC.............