A discussion on the role of the NRA and it’s future.

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
Ovenpaa

Re: A discussion on the role of the NRA and it’s future.

#41 Post by Ovenpaa »

I was on the SABU (South African Bisley Association) this morning and was interested to read this.
SABU is the organizing and controlling body of Target Rifle, F-Class and .303 Shooting in South Africa. It is managed by a National Council in which the Provincial Rifle Associations, the SA National Defense Force and the SABU Veterans Club are represented.
As far as I am aware the majority of our UK shooting organisations do not have anything like this in place so perhaps such a model would be a good starting point. Something like the UK National Shooting Council with representative members from the likes of BASC, NSRA, CPSA, NRA etc. The 'UKNSC' or whatever would be the natural contact point for all things shooting related including press statements, policy and competitions.

Strength in unity springs to mind...

So would this be workable or would it be either ignored by the existing organisations for fear of them loosing a perceived role within the current structure.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
karen

#42 Post by karen »

karen wrote: Certificates of Competence are free to NRA members - we had to hire another member of staff to process them all so non-members are charged to cover the cost of the work. Why should NRA members subsidise non-members in this?
Whoops it has been pointed out that there is a slight boo boo in what I have said

Certificates of Competence are free to all NRA members and to clubs for all members that have paid their capitation fee

Love
Karen
karen

#43 Post by karen »

SABU is the organizing and controlling body of Target Rifle, F-Class and .303 Shooting in South Africa. It is managed by a National Council in which the Provincial Rifle Associations, the SA National Defense Force and the SABU Veterans Club are represented.
Thats interesting as I also contacted SABU this morning - Iain and I have been to shoot at the SABU Champs every year for the last 14 years.

Their set up is pretty much the same as the NRA although it is much smaller

National Council = General Council
Provincial Rifle Associations = Regional Reps
SA NDF = Army, Navy, RAF, TA etc reps
SABU Veterans = plenty of old farts in blazers :grin:

They call it Bisley style shooting after our Bisley (which is nice!)

Love

karen
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#44 Post by IainWR »

Further to the last, there is at least one, and I suspect several, other National Governing Bodies for different disciplines in South Africa. Gallery Rifle, for instance, is not run by SABU - I'm afraid I can't remember the title of the SA organisation that does run GR. Someone else will run shotgun, .22", airguns, and no doubt several classes of hunting.

Iain
HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

#45 Post by HeatherW762 »

IainWR wrote:and no doubt several classes of hunting.

Iain
S A Hunters & Game Conservation Association is one of those. I know there is a GR assoc but cannot remember their name - must be my age!!

Heather
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)
Sandgroper

#46 Post by Sandgroper »

ovenpaa wrote:I was on the SABU (South African Bisley Association) this morning and was interested to read this.
As far as I am aware the majority of our UK shooting organisations do not have anything like this in place so perhaps such a model would be a good starting point. Something like the UK National Shooting Council with representative members from the likes of BASC, NSRA, CPSA, NRA etc. The 'UKNSC' or whatever would be the natural contact point for all things shooting related including press statements, policy and competitions.

Strength in unity springs to mind...

So would this be workable or would it be either ignored by the existing organisations for fear of them loosing a perceived role within the current structure.

You mean The British Shooting Sports Council http://www.bssc.org.uk/ ?
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa

#47 Post by Ovenpaa »

Sandgroper wrote:You mean The British Shooting Sports Council http://www.bssc.org.uk/ ?
PRESIDENT The Earl of Shrewsbury & Talbot DL
CHAIRMAN The Lord Glentoran CBE
VICE-CHAIRMEN Martyn Jones Esq MP Tobias Ellwood Esq MP
TREASURER Graham Downing Esq
SECRETARY David Penn Esq

The last press release from the BSSC was 25th March 2011 and was a single paragraph. Not exactly what I had in mind....
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#48 Post by Ovenpaa »

Maybe one of our current NRA forum members can tell more of the role of the BSSC who say they are representing the interests of various shooting organisations. Are they in active contact with the NRA?
/d

Shed Journal
ResearchPress
Home club or Range: Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB

#49 Post by ResearchPress »

The BSSC are actively working on behalf of shooters and the National Governing Bodies pay them for that service. David Penn, the Secretary, circulates a Quarterly Report. The most recent is for July to September 2011 (pdf link). This is generally 8 or 9 pages of notes, and the report for the last quarter of 2011 will likely be out later this month.

I receive copies of this as Editor of the MLAGBs Black Powder magazine. I publish an edited version of the report in the magazine such that members are kept informed of legislative matters (and can see what BSSC are doing for the money the MLAGB pays them). The HBSA does similar in their quarterly magazine.

David
www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history
Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

#50 Post by Gaz »

karen wrote:
karen wrote: Certificates of Competence are free to NRA members - we had to hire another member of staff to process them all so non-members are charged to cover the cost of the work. Why should NRA members subsidise non-members in this?
Whoops it has been pointed out that there is a slight boo boo in what I have said

Certificates of Competence are free to all NRA members and to clubs for all members that have paid their capitation fee

Love
Karen
I am certain that, when I was chairman of my uni club, we (the club) had to pay something like £3 per competency certificate ordered from the NRA. This had the direct effect of us refusing to certify anyone other than the club's coaches (bearing in mind everyone shot under 1:1 supervision) in order to save our money for more important things, like ammunition.

Of course, this may have changed since early 2010.
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.