A discussion on the role of the NRA and it’s future.

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
John MH

Re: A discussion on the role of the NRA and it’s future.

#31 Post by John MH »

IainWR wrote:
John MH wrote: most of those doing the bashing aren't NRA members (they might be members of an affiliated club but the only reason their club is affiliated is its a Home Office requirement and not because the club membership want to be affiliated). So don't bash the NRA unless you are a member.
JohnMH

Take much of what you say, but just to keep things straight, there is no requirement to be affiliated to the NRA in order to gain HO approval. If there are clubs out there being told so, please let me know in my official capacity.

Iain
Firearms Liaison Officer
NRA

I thought it was a requirement to be affiliated to the NRA or NSRA to get HO Approval but cannot now find any reference to it. However, I might know where I got confused, is it a requirement of JSP 403 Volume 1 Edition 2 Change 6 'USE OF LAND RANGES' Article 0329:

Eligibility. To be eligible to use a MOD land range, a civilian club must:
a. Be affiliated to one of the approved national associations at paragraph 0327 and must be able to produce written confirmation that its affiliation fees are paid.
b. Consist of at least 10 members.
c. Be approved by the Home Office on application by one of the approved national associations at paragraph 0327.
d. Be able to provide a national association approved and qualified RCO.

0327. lists the NRA, NSRA, CPSA and MLAGB
Last edited by John MH on Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ovenpaa

#32 Post by Ovenpaa »

We have a few current and ex NRA staff here that might be able to answer this question. Where does the NRA place or see itself within our current UK shooting bodies? That is not a tongue in cheek question either, I know where I see the NRA and also where I would like to see them so how do they feel them selves?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#33 Post by IainWR »

ovenpaa wrote:We have a few current and ex NRA staff here that might be able to answer this question. Where does the NRA place or see itself within our current UK shooting bodies? That is not a tongue in cheek question either, I know where I see the NRA and also where I would like to see them so how do they feel them selves?
I will have a go.

The NRA is a Charity incorporated by Royal Charter and has as its objective the encouragement of marksmanship in defence of the realm.

The NRA claims to be the rule-maker and GB status awarding body for the following shooting disciplines:

Target Rifle
Match Rifle
F-Class Rifle
Gallery Rifle and Pistol
Civilian Service Rifle / Practical Rifle
Precision snapshooting
Historic Arms
Target Shotgun

The NRA claims to be the GB status awarding body for a number of other disciplines.

The NRA acknowledges the status of other national bodies and is happy to provide facilities for their activities.

The NRA sees itself as the lead civilian shooting organisation providing operational support to the Armed Forces and the Police.

Iain
Vice-Chairman and XO
Shooting Committee
National Rifle Association
John MH

#34 Post by John MH »

Iain

Whats the NRA definition of precision snapshooting? Is it the McQueens?
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#35 Post by IainWR »

Yes. McQueen (the target-making company, who sponsor the competition) is uninformative to outsiders. Competitive shooting at short-exposure targets, primarily with sniper rifles, but also with any rifle that has the capability.
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

#36 Post by Strangely Brown »

John MH wrote:Firstly I consider people bashing the NRA tiresome as most of those doing the bashing aren't NRA members (they might be members of an affiliated club but the only reason their club is affiliated is its a Home Office requirement and not because the club membership want to be affiliated). So don't bash the NRA unless you are a member.

Here here!

[qoute="John MH"]The firing points at 100, 200 and 400 yards are also neglected; not used as often or at all by TR fraternity but used by many others they are also poorly maintained.[/quote]

I was once told that the far end of Century was a Sight of Scientific Interest (SSI) and that work such as drainage would require the consent of Surrey Council.

IainWR, do you know if this is the case?
Mick
Dangermouse

#37 Post by Dangermouse »

I am trying to remember, where is the NRA club house? Surely the NRA club has it's own club house for it's members and an area for members to clean their firearms etc.

This has been a useful thread and has helped me come to terms with who/what the NRA are. I must admit that I thought that they were a lot more and I am looking at the logistics of joining the BASC, possibly instead of the NRA.

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
karen

#38 Post by karen »

Dangermouse wrote:I am trying to remember, where is the NRA club house? Surely the NRA club has it's own club house for it's members and an area for members to clean their firearms etc.

This has been a useful thread and has helped me come to terms with who/what the NRA are. I must admit that I thought that they were a lot more and I am looking at the logistics of joining the BASC, possibly instead of the NRA.

DM
Not really - its something we want to have especially for the NRA Shooting Club

Hopefully soon . . .

We are a lot more than what Iain said - unfortunately my dinner is ready and I don't really have time to think and write it all down at the moment. Beef and yorkshire pud with a lovely Shiraz - YUM!

Love

karen
Christel
Site Admin

#39 Post by Christel »

No pots?

:G
Dougan

#40 Post by Dougan »

Strangely Brown wrote:I was once told that the far end of Century was a Sight of Scientific Interest (SSI)
I believe that some of the range and danger area are SSI - There are rare reptiles, and I was once shown some small orchids on Century...I was told this was why the road to Short Siberia has to be tempory.

However, I don't see why Century butts can't be sorted out, which is my only major complaint with the NRA at the moment.

As for the 'future NRA' question - I personally don't expect them to be political and comment for all shooters, but remain the major representitive of competitive fullbore shooters (as many disciplines as possible).

We (Dorset shooters) have been well represented by the NRA on issues concerning the use of MoD ranges (this must be the third time I've said this :roll: ), so personally I do feel that I get 'national' benefits from the NRA, and that it is NOT just about Bisley. I do sympathize with the North of the country, but you've got to be realistic about the funds the NRA have available, and that if there is to be more investment in the North, there may need to be more 'support' from the North...

that should go down well.. :run: