Colt .22 M4 Ops Carbine or .22 GSG5?

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Colt .22 M4 Ops Carbine or .22 GSG5?

#11 Post by bnz41 »

Just a warning I had a v22 (from new) and it only liked CCI mini mag after trying loads of different makes, still used to jam every now and then even with them, Bob could not sort it, so I traded it for a 10/22...
Sim G

#12 Post by Sim G »

the running man wrote:Gsg 5,sim g is the only person i know of that can get his to work ok,every other one ive seen jams like a robinsons factory................i can also comment that people do use both the gsg and the ar clones on the gr circut, but i will add that nobody does very well with them to my knowledge, certainly no one is in the national teams with one that ive seen......i mainly see them on advancing target....accuracy and reliability lets them down every time........

And it always surprises me when I hear horror stories about the GSG.

I bought mine new when they first hit the market, probably what, four five years ago? Since then, nary an issue. All those stoppages I have had, and there haven't been many, the majority have been down to ammo....

I keep the bolt lubed with Tetra-grease, an a brush lubed with light gun oil, pushed in the chamber a couple of times, as per the instructions and it just keeps on ticking.

I only use Remington Viper in it. It's a "hyper-velocity" round, with a coper washed truncated cone, 38gn bullet at just over 1400fps. The bullet shape doesn't cause it problems but because it's copper washed, no lube on the bullet. This may be an advantage.

It will nevr be a target gun, but it will tear the 9 ring out of a 20m UIT CF pistol target (my club has loads of these) at 25m, fitted with a Leupold 1x Prismatic scope. I have a full Volquartson 10/22 for "serious" work.

The GSG must have had 10000 rounds through it at least. Never had a breakage either.......

Just lucky, or found the "secret" to reliable running?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Lyons

#13 Post by Lyons »

I ended up getting the GSG5. Pick it up from my RFD tomorrow so hopefully it works.... fingers crossed. should be good fun.
Attachments
GSG.JPG
froggy
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#14 Post by froggy »

Enjoy !!
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Lyons

#15 Post by Lyons »

update: gun arrived. Had a crack on the bolt carrier and then exploded after a few CCI rounds.......... have contacted the seller and also tried contacting yorkguns but their email doesn't seem to be working. THE JOYS!
John MH

#16 Post by John MH »

Sorry to hear that.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#17 Post by Mike357 »

Is it repairable do you think?
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Lyons

#18 Post by Lyons »

No idea. Tried contacting yorkguns because jonny was telling me they import them but they are closed until monday now. Was looking forward to picking the gun up all week as well. May go and buy a Kidd trigger for my ruger to make me feel better haha.
Lyons

#19 Post by Lyons »

this is exactly what happened to mine....

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=892270
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#20 Post by mr smith »

Lyons wrote:update: gun arrived. Had a crack on the bolt carrier and then exploded after a few CCI rounds.......... have contacted the seller and also tried contacting yorkguns but their email doesn't seem to be working. THE JOYS!

Thats bo...cks lad sign01