Recommend me a .22LR S/A for vermin control.

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa

Recommend me a .22LR S/A for vermin control.

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Something for wabbits and rats that is accurate out to 65m and capable of rapid second shots hence the S/A. It would need to be ‘scoped and able to cycle subs with a moderator. I know the obvious choice is a 10/22 but I was thinking of one of those Marlin’s take down thingies instead but I do have a very open mind.

Anyone?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

Re: Recommend me a .22LR S/A for vermin control.

#2 Post by Dangermouse »

It would have to be a Raven?

10/22 gets my vote every time, no need to have anything other than a cheap SH model, they all do their job,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#3 Post by saddler »

BRNO CZ 511 or 581

As accurate as my BRNO model 2 bolt action - easy to take down for cleaning, etc.
Only really let down by the 8-rd magazine: a bit of a weird size, in my opinion...

Also, Rem 597 are over their early teething problems

The semi auto Marlin - not what I'd chose, and not sure how they perform on retaining zero once they've been stripped a couple of times.
The Marlin I WOULD possibly get, also a take down, is the 39 lever action...had a LOT of time with them in the past & they never missed a beat.

Hope you find something suitable
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

On the subject of Rems what about the 552 Speedmaster?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Rifleman798

#5 Post by Rifleman798 »

+1 For the Raven

Let you borrow mine when I get it next month :grin:

Bit expensive for Rabbiting though. Im with Saddler for the CZ.
JonC

#6 Post by JonC »

I have the CZ emi, very happy with it, I use it in preference to my model 2 most of the time. I did hear good things about themarlin 7000, was tempted to give one a go.
DL.

#7 Post by DL. »

I had a Marlin 7000 for around five years, and to be honest, I was glad when I got rid of it and freed up a space in the gun safe. :o
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#8 Post by Mike357 »

Mmmm Raven!

Go for a 10/22, cheap as chips, customizable, easy to clean and work on too.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#9 Post by the running man »

stocksmi all depends how reliable and how accurate you want to be, if u want the best then a screw cut kid barrel and kid trigger ,bolt etc and ure choice of stock from rude fat dog,would be my ideal choice..................rugers are ok,but for wat you could spend making them reliable u just as well get a kud set up........the remmy 597 is ok but as said its feed problems are widely known about...................i personaly mostly use my .17 bolt cz on the farm, but when i do use a .22 with mod i uae my browning buckmark,ive cut the barrel to 13 in and put a pitcatinny under the barrel with forward grip mounted.it cycles well and you get ten shots!! The cz models are also fine with well made barrels for the price.....its all about how good you want things....a freind of mine insists on always bringing his ruger with him and it always jams on him at the moment hes presented with a great target!! So read inti whst ive said with an objective view!! Good luck...
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

I'd go for a pump action, Savage, Remmy, Win what ever.

If it must be a S/A then the 10/22 is the base line, cheap, reliable, well supported with a flush magazine. its success is a testament to its functionality and they are accurate and reliable out of the box and odn't need to be tricked out for what you want.

For that type of work however I never feel disadvantaged with a B/A and my rifle of choice would be a BSA Sportaman 5 followed by a pump then the 10/22.

BTW have you thought of an FAC air rifle?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/