Next project

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Ovenpaa

Re: Next project

#71 Post by Ovenpaa »

Erm... not quite yet as I have not finished that part yet, that is one of the jobs for the morning. I still have a lot of work to do before it is completed...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#72 Post by Ovenpaa »

Some pictures.

Boring the hole for the rotating station, it will take a thrust bearing so I leave a register at the bottom. That score around the circumference of the table was down to the clamping bar on the rotary table scraping the under side of the material when I was machining it, I was not impressed... a valuable lesson learned, luckily it is hidden by the rotating platen.
bore.JPG
bore.JPG (40.99 KiB) Viewed 567 times
The hole finished and thrust bearing in place with the rotator sitting on top, I use cheapie Chinese bearings in areas like this as they are not subjected to any great forces and very cheap, I think this one was under GBP1.50 and was the one I incorrectly ordered so it was pressed into use :good:
rot_station1.JPG
The rotator in place, right now it is high by .003" so I will deal with that in a bit...
rot_station2.JPG
rot_station2.JPG (84.85 KiB) Viewed 567 times
Time to fit the support block and motor...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
spud
Home club or Range: Grovesmall Arms

#73 Post by spud »

dont forget dave to allow for adjustment on your plattern table to help centrilize the case on top off the thrust bearing as wehn you motor drifts around with the case to the annealing station itll be off centre

im sure your thought off this but i thought id double check
ImageImage
Ovenpaa

#74 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have that covered Spud, the holes are designed for 300 SAUM brass, which also means it takes .303 Brit and 8x58RD, I have machined some reducers that drop into the holes so it will take .308, 6,5x284 and 22-6,5x47 (22 Christel) What it will not take is the short cased stuff but if we ever end up with one in the house I will make a new platen to suit.

This is the gearbox mounting block, I got quite a kick out of building this, I bored the block instead of chucking it in a 4 jaw and then used a rotary table to drill the six motor mount holes, the cap head recess holes were done by eye with a 6mm end mill because I forgot to do them at the time...
rot_block.jpg
I have added star washers to stop the whole thing falling apart.
rot_block2.jpg
I use a permenant marker instead of layout blue, it works just as well for smaller items and wipes off with WD40/white spirit/fingers when needed, and sometimes when not...

The rotor needs to be drilled and tapped for a grub screw and the mounting block itself will need a hole boring in it to gain access to the grub screw.
/d

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#75 Post by Ovenpaa »

...and here it is all bolted up in place, the motor and gearbox goes through the sub plate for a variety of reasons, it allows me to reduce the overall height of the unit, it looks quirky and it was an excuse to do some boring, after all this is a project to develop my skills as much as anything. I plan to sleeve the motors with aluminium tube so they are in keeping with the rest of the machine, everything is either aluminium or stainless steel.
rotating station.jpg
You can also see the hole where the annealed cases drop through, I have not decided how to get them away from the machine at this stage, a chute of some kind I think so similar in principle to the sleeve over the motor/gearbox assembly
/d

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#76 Post by Christel »

...it's alive :G
Gun Pimp

#77 Post by Gun Pimp »

Dave,

A fabulous looking project - very well done.

Maybe you could write it up for Target Shooter when you've used it.

Cheers
Vince
Ovenpaa

#78 Post by Ovenpaa »

If it works :lol:

I will machine the motor mounting block in the morning, fit the motor and gearbox, tidy the last little bits and give it a test drive.
/d

Shed Journal
Scotsgun

#79 Post by Scotsgun »

That's a clever idea. Have the brass case move on over onto a turntable which is positioned at the burners.

It's a good robust design unlikely to fail. It's obvious that you have enjoyed designing and manufacturing it as it's a lot more refined that most would do. Perhaps my only alteration would have been to redesign the top table to accomodate a wider slection of case sizes.
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#80 Post by 1066 »

That looks like an excellent job - I've just sent you 1,000 x .308 cases for you to test it on, just send them back and I'll evaluate them for you. :good:
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com