100yrds

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

100yrds

#1 Post by kennyc »

OK I've just put the very tip of a toe into the murky waters of rimfire shooting, I have just bought a Winchester 190 semi-auto and I am considering giving it a go at 100 yrds, I don't expect great accuracy, it is purely for plinking and to save me some reloading costs on 30 calibre ammo :grin: I have fitted a cheap 6x scope to it (increased its value 3 fold! :grin: ) is this going to work ?
John25

Re: 100yrds

#2 Post by John25 »

If it goes bang when you yank the trigger, it works!

P.S. You will be lucky to make the olympic team with it!

:cheers:
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
Flanker

#3 Post by Flanker »

kennyc wrote:OK I've just put the very tip of a toe into the murky waters of rimfire shooting, I have just bought a Winchester 190 semi-auto and I am considering giving it a go at 100 yrds, I don't expect great accuracy, it is purely for plinking and to save me some reloading costs on 30 calibre ammo :grin: I have fitted a cheap 6x scope to it (increased its value 3 fold! :grin: ) is this going to work ?
Depends what you mean by "work". If your indicator of success is the ammo being cheaper than 30 cal, then I think you're onto a winner. But check it out, I'm not an expert :shakeshout:
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

I reckon you will be pleasantly surprised and will be under 2MOA very quickly once you have found ammunition to suit the rifle. :good:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dougan

#5 Post by Dougan »

You'll be suprised how consistantly accurate .22 rimfire can be at 100 yds in good conditions - I tryed my .22s at Short Siberia - my voere semi-auto had about an 8" drop (from 25m) at 100 yds...but was a bit of a waste of time at 200 yds...with a drop of about 4 feet :)
fiveeight

#6 Post by fiveeight »

I spent a morning shooting two Ruger 10-22s at 100 yards on Short Siberia yesterday and despite the howling wind, the nicer one (scope, heavy barrel and a better stock) would consistently hit the bull shooting off a rest. It felt like cheating after a bit so we switched over. The other one had notch and bead open sights, which I didn't like and I had trouble getting on with the cheekpiece but it was consistent once you got past that. We were using CCI MiniMag (seems to be the "generic .22" at the Bisley Range Office) and it was pretty consistent apart from 1 of 200 that went pop instead of bang. Great fun and a lot cheaper than .303.
Sim G

#7 Post by Sim G »

ovenpaa wrote:I reckon you will be pleasantly surprised and will be under 2MOA very quickly once you have found ammunition to suit the rifle. :good:

Exactly. The humble old twenty two goes very well at 100.

I once turned up at a club 300yd shoot thinking it was a 25yd shoot. Had my VQ 10/22 with me that has a 14" barrel........

Gave it a go anyway and kept them consistantly in the black at 300!!! Gave me a new respect for the cartridge.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
targetman

#8 Post by targetman »

I regularly shot the Leslie Williams Trophy at 200 yards at Bisley in the 1980s with a Martini International Mk2, great results too.

I have shot both my Martini Henry Bonehill .22 and my SMLE .22 at 200 yards and they are surprisngly accurate, loads of shots for next to no money...great.

I did try both at 300 yards a couple of years ago, the Bonehill was ok, I managed to hit the target but no real "group", but the SMLE did the business, all in the black and a fair group.

Must dust them off again and have another go.
The trakker

#9 Post by The trakker »

I had the b/a winchester 72 some years ago, cheep & cheerful @ £65 i seem to remember, nothing much of a beauty queen, basic & functional, super accurate, but a little long in the barrel for everyday bunny use. I didnt want to butcher the length, & eventually moved her on ,best b/a i had , as i say superbly accurate
Robin128

#10 Post by Robin128 »

Semi autos are not as accurate as a bolt gun.

My 10/22 would put them on an old penny at 50...my cz452 will put them in the same hole ..but ammo counts...find one that feeds well and shoots accurately...it may be a compromise in a semi auto.

:good: