Skeet

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Lyons

Skeet

#1 Post by Lyons »

Evening,

I was thinking about giving skeet a go. Can anyone recommend a decent gun for this that isn't too expensive? I've been looking on gun trader but there are a few thousand on there.

Thanks
Scott
Mr_Logic

Re: Skeet

#2 Post by Mr_Logic »

What have you got now?
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I shot a fair amount of Skeet with a Miroku 6000, I did run a Beretta 303 as a Skeet gun as well but could never get on with it.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Lyons

#4 Post by Lyons »

Hi Mr_Logic,

I don't have any shotguns just now. I only just got my certificates a couple of months back so slowly starting to increase my collection. I've been clay pigeon shooting a few times and tried skeet once before.

Hey Ovenpaa,

I'll look that one up.

Thanks & Regards
Scott
spud

#5 Post by spud »

ideally open chokes nomore than 1/4 short barrel 26 inches ideally and light to swing

28gram 8shot cartridges loads of fun
Robin128

#6 Post by Robin128 »

What Spud said and try different guns...Some use sporters others trap.

Miroku, Browning, Beretta.
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

I prefer longer barrels and always did better with with the 30" Miroku. I was lucky enough to shoot at Lakenheath with one of the GB team many years ago and he told me it was all to do with technique, he was a right handed shot with a browning and to prove his point he shot a round with my gun, left handed and aced it. He also did it in probably no more than 90 seconds.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mr_Logic

#8 Post by Mr_Logic »

If you're looking at getting the first gun, don't bother getting a skeet gun. Far too many other disciplines to try.

I shoot skeet every now and then (used to be pretty regular but I discovered 1000 yard rifle shooting!). I have a 30" Browning 525 sporter. I had a Beretta AL391 semi auto for a while, and that was pretty good too.

You're best off getting a couple of lessons on either skeet or sporting, and then finding a gun which fits you.

I got shotguns wrong because I didn't know what I was doing. You will almost certainly buy one and then change it, so buy a second hand gun if you can - you'll lose less money. I had a Bettinsoli for a while, which I made £50 on. Was a pretty good gun in all honesty.

Lanber's a make I don't hear too much bad stuff about, and a lot of good, and they shoulder OK for me. Might be worth a look.

Until you've shot it a bit, don't spend lots of money. When you know what you're doing, then spend some money.

Oh and one other thing, don't worry too much about choke - if you find some old gun you like for not much cash, but it's fixed 1/4 and 1/2 choke (a lot of sporters are/were) don't worry - it'll break 'em just fine if you put the shot pattern in the right place!! If you get a multi-choke gun, then skeet wants chokes as open as you can go. But like I said, don't worry too much about it.
M99

#9 Post by M99 »

Most important bit - get a gun that fits - get it fitted by a good gunshop/fitter/coach - not a poor one!

I would suggest as a starter look at one of the sporters in multi choke - Berretta, Bettinsoli, Lanber, browning etc

Like a couple of the others, personally I prefer longer barrels and open choke. (But then I am abnormally tall)

Find a local clay ground and practice - maybe shoot a round of skeet first, then shoot each stand to death. Stay on stand one until you can kill both singles and the pair without thinking. Then move to stand 2 etc - practice makes for great fun - I enjoy shooting skeet and after many moons of trying can consistently now shoot 25 straight.

Mike
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

I tried with a Skeet choke in my 303 but always have better results with the 6000 and that was with 1/4 & 3/4 chokes.
/d

Shed Journal