New Security at Bisley

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)
Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

New Security at Bisley

#1 Post by 20series »

Peeps

I've had this come to me via another source, has anyone had it or heard about it?? Seems like a good idea to me.

Alan
Attachments
SecurityLetter.pdf
(73.09 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

Re: New Security at Bisley

#2 Post by the running man »

This was my reply to the letter.

Im genuinely shocked, someone at the nra is concerned with security??? This must only be either the result of an incident involving either nra staff (senior) or someone with money,becase god only knows no body at the nra cares one dam about anyone who shoots anything but prone target rifle.
That said,the openess of the camp is and always has been a soft target,when you consider theives travel from manchester to the south cost to burgle rob etc,its only a matter of time before something happens at bisley.
I welcome any security at bisley with welcome arms.
I suggest a pass for the gate,why not make visitors show a pass,i also suggest blocking the path opposite the chelyesmire shower block that provides an ample escape route for thieves.
Ide also like to see the facility for speedy police or better still military police response to incidents. I personally witnessed several shoplifting occurences at trade shows at bisley with no back up nearby i darent challenge the theives.
Also lets reintroduce a strict ban on camoflage clothing at bisley for non military personel. Hopefuly this will keep some of the bad attitudes away.
I worked in security for 2 years and am happy to chat with you at any time about any subject regarding security.....
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#3 Post by kennyc »

the running man wrote:This was my reply to the letter.

Im genuinely shocked, someone at the nra is concerned with security??? This must only be either the result of an incident involving either nra staff (senior) or someone with money,becase god only knows no body at the nra cares one dam about anyone who shoots anything but prone target rifle.
That said,the openess of the camp is and always has been a soft target,when you consider theives travel from manchester to the south cost to burgle rob etc,its only a matter of time before something happens at bisley.
I suggest a pass for the gate,why not make visitors show a pass,i also suggest blocking the path opposite the chelyesmire shower block that provides an ample escape route for thieves.
Ide also like to see the facility for speedy police or better still military police response to incidents. I personally witnessed several shoplifting occurences at trade shows at bisley with no back up nearby i darent challenge the theives.
Also lets reintroduce a strict ban on camoflage clothing at bisley for non military personel. Hopefuly this will keep some of the bad attitudes away.
I worked in security for 2 years and am happy to chat with you at any time about any subject regarding security.....
well I guess that settles it then! Kenny won't be wearing his shorts to the next FBUK competition O:-)
rox

#4 Post by rox »

the running man wrote:This must only be either the result of an incident involving either nra staff (senior) or someone with money,becase god only knows no body at the nra cares one dam about anyone who shoots anything but prone target rifle.
am happy to chat with you at any time about any subject regarding security.....
:good: Nice bit of slagging-off! I'm sure they'll be in touch soon for some more 'advice' :lol: .

the running man

#5 Post by the running man »

Yeah im sure they will be in touch,security has always been a joke at bisley, bet someone had his bottle of pimms stolen!!
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

#6 Post by HeatherW762 »

We are always happy to have help. If you email security@nra.org.uk, as per the letter, I'm sure someone will get back to you ASAP.

Heather
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)
karen

#7 Post by karen »

Hmmm well I've left my bike unlocked for three years now and noones nicked it!

Also my hut was left unlocked all last week and no problems (other than for the person who left it unlocked :G )

Main problems appear to be kids from Pirbright (petty vandalism) and the odd caravan raid . . . except for when someone runs off with thousands of empty cases that is!

Generally its pretty good security-wise (I've lived in far worse places) but yes more can always be done.

Love

Karen
Dougan

#8 Post by Dougan »

the running man wrote:This was my reply to the letter.

Do you not think that first comment about the NRA is unfair? - I shoot 3 disceplines at Bisley, Prone TR, Classic Rifle and Gallery rifle...I have never felt that the NRA don't care about all 3...or if I'm just plinking at Short Siberia. Have you had any personal experience that promted this comment?

Also why ban camoflage clothing? I don't see the link between camo and crimminality? I'm more of an 'olive' person my self - but if it's going to be particlarly bad weather, I might wear some of my fishing garb...which is camo. You might as well just cancel the Trafalgar meeting next week (a major meeting that is not about TR) then, as many competitors like to dress in the spririt of the meeting....

About security:

I have never witnessed a crime in 25 years of visiting Bisley, and if I saw someone nicking I would say something...if I felt I didn't want to confront the person myself, I would at least tell the stall holder straight away.

However I don't think it's the petty stuff (there are 'light fingered' folk in all walks of life) that's the problem. In today's England I'm amazed it's taken some so long to realise what a 'soft target' Bisley has become - when you look at the lengths crimminals will go to for a bit of scap metal these days.

As for a solution? I can remember when there was someone on the gate all the time, and remember being surprised when the practice stopped - but when money is short...what's the costing on someone on the gate 24/7?...£50/60 grand? ... not to mention patroles and other measures...

It is sad that the NRA has had to make this admittion - but it's the right thing to do - and hopefully, with them addressing the issue, and shooting visitors being aware...we might sort it out.

What can I do personally...not a lot... other than join the NRA, and give them my financial support aswell :good:
rox

#9 Post by rox »

Dougan wrote:I have never witnessed a crime in 25 years of visiting Bisley
Besides theft sometimes vandalism can be as disruptive and expensive. I haven't witnessed any, but a few incidents spring to mind from recent memory:

Theft of a cash machine from the NSRA.
Vandalism of 300m electronic target aparatus.
Theft of 'new' electronic target aparatus.
Theft from Fultons 'air' shop.

But obvisouly it must be the Pesky Pimms Pilferer that have caused the authorities to act.

Come to think of it, we recently installed a new alarm system in our clubhouse, and within a month it detected an intruder in the dining room. THAT MUST HAVE BEEN HIM! THE PESKY PIMMS PILFERER WAS TRYING TO BURGLE THE BAR!

the running man

#10 Post by the running man »

Dougan in answer to youre questions mate,firstly yes i do feel gr shooters not thought as highly of as the tr crowd. a fact reflected by various political decisions over the years,the biggest being the nra being very quiet during the pistol ban. thrre is much more but will only upset people....

Security,the shoplifting i witnessed was reported to the stall owners imeadeatly,all with unsucsessful retreaveal of goods. besides in my experience it does not pay to confront strangers especially when you are acusing them of theft.

Camo clothing,was banned (correct me if im wrong) in the wake of micheal ryan,camo implies combat,which implies would be killers,something we as shooters putting holes in paper should do all to diasscociate ourselves from. At the recent phoenix show i saw 2 drunk guys cammo'd right up with pints in their hand asking folk where they could fire machine guns to. this is behaiviour and people we could do without at bisley. if you disagree with me then lets have more of these thugs!!!

Standards and rules exist for our well being and that of our sport,why dont we stik them.

Good pimms comeback!!