Pistol ownership in the UK

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Holds Tight

Pistol ownership in the UK

#1 Post by Holds Tight »

Hello All,

Can anyone confirm the jurisdictions in the UK that allow legal ownership of pistols? I believe that there are 2 or 3 places that still allow this.

My Club is attempting to change a 40 year old Act here in Bermuda to re-allow the ownership of pistols for sporting use and I'm trying to research pistol legislation in these jurisdictions.

Let me try and explain, prior to 1973 private citizens could own and license pistols for sporting use. In 1973 a Act was passed to make all pistols illegal (an ugly part of our history-Bermuda was the ONLY Colony in which HM Governor and A.D.C. were assassinated). Pistols were seized from private holdings and were kept in a central Police or Regiment armoury and members of our Club until 3 months ago were allowed to use them locally at Police or Regiment ranges and overseas in competitions.

We are now attempting to regularize their use.

Regards,

David
Holds Tight
Bermuda

Things my wife hates:
My Barnard stocked in an Eliseo B1 .308, B.A.T. .308, Anschutz .22 stocked in an Eliseo AN1, Walther .22\.32 GSP, Ruger GP 101 .357, S&W 745 .45 and sometimes.........ME!
Tower75

Re: Pistol ownership in the UK

#2 Post by Tower75 »

Ok, I'll bite the bullet and be the first to try to answer as best I can. Others more experienced then me will probably be more helpful.

Basically, the only handguns that you are allowed to possess in the UK with a standard Section 1 certificate are:

Long Barrelled Revolvers chambered for: .22, .38, .44 (over 16 inches long, usually with a fixed arm rest mounted to the grip)
Long Barrelled Pistols chambered for .22
Long-range, single shot pistols chambered for rifle cartridges
Any and all muzzle-loading handguns
Air pistols in .177, .22

To own a true handgun, ie, a pistol or revolver that is chambered for a metallic cartridge you have to obtain a special licence call the Section 7.

This licence covers handguns made between 1919 and 1945 only. The handgun needs to be made between these two dates. An M1911A1 made in 2006, for example, wouldn't count.

This is split into two parts.

The first part covers handguns chambered for a cartridge that is not widely available. You may keep these handguns at home, but not shoot them.

The second part of the licence covers all handguns chambered for a round that is widely available, like 9mm Parabellum, or .45ACP. These handguns must be kept at a Government approved location at all times, I think there is only about 7 location in the UK, and, correct me if I'm wrong, I think you may only shoot these handguns once a month, at least, that's the rule at my club.

Any other handgun not listed above is prohibited.

Hope that helps
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
Sandgroper

#3 Post by Sandgroper »

Can anyone confirm the jurisdictions in the UK that allow legal ownership of pistols? I believe that there are 2 or 3 places that still allow this.
I think it's only the Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Northern Ireland.

Long Barrelled Revolvers chambered for: .22, .38, .44 (over 16 inches long, usually with a fixed arm rest mounted to the grip)
I'm pretty sure it's a minimum 12 inch barrel and 24 inches overall length?
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Tower75

#4 Post by Tower75 »

I'm pretty sure it's a minimum 12 inch barrel and 24 inches overall length?
You're probably right :good:
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#5 Post by Mike357 »

You can also apply for a pistol/revolver for the humane despatch of deer etc.

You have to prove you have a legitimate reason, your revolver will be restricted to 2 shots or so. Some lucky chaps have secured Glocks on the basis that their polymer frames make them light for carrying all day long.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#6 Post by the running man »

the last comment needs a small addition, section 5 humane dispatch pistols are meated out for stalkers slaughtermen,guys who are on the rspca call out list (although most on this list just use a shotgun).

Pistols are also granted for the personal protection of individuals such as northern ireland mp,s and ex army etc etc,i think they are alowed to practice once in a while under police supervison......but they are kept at home with very very few actual pp and carry anywhere licences.

Also when pistols wete first banned and dispacth pistols were being issued they wete all revolvers with the sights filed down as well as the hammer,this trend does not seem to have carried on,in fact as said above a glock u can now have!!

True most are resricted to 2 shots,some who shoot wild boar have unrestricted magazine capacity,the reasons for this is 2 shots are not enough on a angry charging boar!!
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
rox

#7 Post by rox »

A number of section 5 licenses are also granted to national squad members.

Holds Tight

#8 Post by Holds Tight »

Thank you all for your time and information. My club is in the process of lobbying our Cabinet Ministers to allow "firearms with a barrel of less than 12 inches and air rifles and pistols" to be licenced again after 38 of being prohibited. Bermuda is hosting the 2013 Small Island Games and shooting of these firearms play a large part in them.
Holds Tight
Bermuda

Things my wife hates:
My Barnard stocked in an Eliseo B1 .308, B.A.T. .308, Anschutz .22 stocked in an Eliseo AN1, Walther .22\.32 GSP, Ruger GP 101 .357, S&W 745 .45 and sometimes.........ME!
froggy
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#9 Post by froggy »

Salut,

A bit out of topic but I had the chance to shot a Patriot 32 pistol last week and thoroughly loved it :mrgreen:

From what I can read in the papers there is actually a lot of pistol shooting going on in London nowdays :run:
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/