Reloading bench idea

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
YattonShooter

Reloading bench idea

#1 Post by YattonShooter »

Hi all
Getting back into reloading and I was thinking of buying one of these:

https://www.bigdug.co.uk/workshop-floor ... gJHWPD_BwE

Do you think this is suitable?
Or are there any other pre-built alternatives?

Thanks
20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Reloading bench idea

#2 Post by 20series »

Yeh it looks sturdy enough, personally I would go with the one with the half depth bottom shelf.

I use an old office desk thst Ibbought from an office surplus place.
Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Gun Pimp
Home club or Range: Diggle

#3 Post by Gun Pimp »

Yeah - agree with 20series - the half shelf would be handy. You might need to reinforce the top where you bolt your press.
YattonShooter

#4 Post by YattonShooter »

Thanks for the replies.
I will go for the half shelf and possibly look at putting a thicker top in for my presses.
I’ve been lucky and found an old RCBS Partner press and an old Lyman Crusher 2 which have languished in my loft for many years and they only have the slightest of surface rust on them.
Appreciate the replies, I just needed that bit of reassurance and guidance 👍🏻
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#5 Post by bradaz11 »

400kg loading you would hope it wouldn't twist.
for a workbench I needed for a shed, that I then moved around a bit, I bought these legs
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke- ... orts-pair/
then got a sheet of 18mm ply (could have gone thinner) in B&Q, got them to rip it in half, then those ripped in half to give 4 1200x600 sheets, then one ripped in half again to give 300 depth, and bolted 2 together for the top, and the 1 half board as a base / shelf to steady the legs, the left over half shelf I was going to rig up as a 2nd shelf but never did.

should come to about £85 plus some fixings

bench top is solid.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
bradaz11

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

oh, and you can also bolt the legs to the floor if you wanted to. bit hard with that bench. something to consider when you are pulling the handle on your press hanging off the front.
and saying that, the top is also fixed to the legs. on these shelves, the tops are usually just sat in. would the press lift the back of the board up?
ukrifleman

#7 Post by ukrifleman »

Is this bench to be used free standing or against a wall?
If the latter, I would suggest bolting to the wall to give stability.
ukrifleman
YattonShooter

#8 Post by YattonShooter »

Lots of ideas, I might go down the route that Bradaz has suggested.
This is why I asked, plenty of advice 😀
I’m still getting over my pneumonia, so once I’m up and running, I’ll let you know what I do.
Cheers
bradaz11

#9 Post by bradaz11 »

the nice thing about using the ply on the legs, is you can make the benchtop deeper, longer or shorter if you want to, and you can get right up to the edge