FEO Visit - or not

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Polchraine

FEO Visit - or not

#1 Post by Polchraine »

Just had an email about my recent SGC/FAC renewals.

In my case, the Met will conduct a video interview rather than a home visit - no issue about that. However, they have sent a list of questions to me about the house, alarm, security, cameras lights &c which would often be asked about or noted during the home visist. They have requested I email the answers back to them

Given the nature of the information, I am a little nervous, as there is always the potential for in-transit interception or diversion and have raised this point.

Any thoughts or comments on this?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Pinguino
Home club or Range: Bisley

Re: FEO Visit - or not

#2 Post by Pinguino »

If you're that worried, get the requester's name and postal address send them the information via special next signed for delivery (probably cost you a fiver).
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by IainWR »

Polchraine wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:51 pm Just had an email about my recent SGC/FAC renewals.

In my case, the Met will conduct a video interview rather than a home visit - no issue about that. However, they have sent a list of questions to me about the house, alarm, security, cameras lights &c which would often be asked about or noted during the home visist. They have requested I email the answers back to them

Given the nature of the information, I am a little nervous, as there is always the potential for in-transit interception or diversion and have raised this point.

As a professional security officer in a past employment and an adviser on firearms security in the current one, I share your concern. 90% of firearms storage security "advice" could be ignored if Need To Know was properly applied.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#4 Post by Dark Skies »

Polchraine wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:51 pm Just had an email about my recent SGC/FAC renewals.

Ask the Met if they're using an encrypted email service. They ought to be. If so, you could set up a ProtonMail encrypted account to send the details. Or you could set up two email accounts, one for you and a disposable email account for plod and just tell them the login details during the video call.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Sim G

#5 Post by Sim G »

The police use secure email. Police IT departments are only slightly smaller than fecking HR these days!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sim G

#6 Post by Sim G »

The police use secure email. Police IT departments are only slightly smaller than fecking HR these days!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Polchraine

#7 Post by Polchraine »

Sim G wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:10 pm The police use secure email. Police IT departments are only slightly smaller than fecking HR these days!!

They may do, but it is the "in transit" where it could be intercepted. The mail serviers I use - are they secure? Probably not. And there lies the problem. I will not send it via G-mail or similar as everything sits on their servers and can I be 100% certain that emails are not sampled too?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

if you are that worried, send it with reference to you FAC, from a new email address. no names, and just security info, which btw, I doubt anyone is interested in, as it means they have to physically travel to you to benefit from it, most of which would probably be answered by a casually viewing of you property and a nice thermal camera.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Practical shooter

#9 Post by Practical shooter »

If your that worried about some unknown entity intercepting your email with intentions to steal your legally held firearms why not hand deliver the information requested to the relevant firearms licensing department in person. Id suggest whilst doing so you are wearing a disguise and employ counter surveillance tactics
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

#10 Post by billgatese30 »

Or give them the answers over the phone and they can make note of it at their end?
Chris