Advice on M59F1 rifles

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Richo
Home club or Range: Sedbergh shooting club

Advice on M59F1 rifles

#1 Post by Richo »

Can anybody offer me some advice on the Kongsberg M59 F1 target rifles, i have a chance to buy one (2 available) but dont know what type of money there fetching and dont want to insult them with an offer thats not somewhere in the ball park.
Both are in excellent external condition and both are fitted with Parker Hale front and rear target sights, there both low serial numbered with matching bolts and parts, one has Regulated By Fulton stamped on the receiver this rifle has a slightly longer barrel the the other (approx 2") and a rubber recoil butt pad while the other has a steel butt plate, the rifling looks good on both of them and both have nice what looks like laminated stocks.
Anybody with knowledge or advice on what to look for and values would be appreciated, might be worth more than i can afford so dont want to mess thhem about.
Gun Pimp
Home club or Range: Diggle

Re: Advice on M59F1 rifles

#2 Post by Gun Pimp »

Are you looking to shoot in TR competition?
Richo

#3 Post by Richo »

No not really into competition shooting just fancied a vintage target rifle for occasional use, just dont really know what i would or shou,d have to pay for such a gun, sas offered one of these due to the owners death. if there too expensive i wont bother as its just for occasional shooting.
Gun Pimp

#4 Post by Gun Pimp »

I would say £150
Richo

#5 Post by Richo »

Ok, thanks for the info, i expected them to be worth more than that so will see if an offer in that region is acceptable, somehow i thought they would be worth more but not having any knowledge about these rifles value thought it best to seek further advice.
The sights must be worth half of that amount, is there anything i should check out and look for if i do buy one!! The Fulton's Regulated one with S&L barrel might be the better of the two but i would check the barrels for wear on both before choosing.
Cheers
Gun Pimp

#6 Post by Gun Pimp »

An original M59 sniper rifle may well have some collector value but probably not the Target Rifle version - which will have been re-stocked, rebarrelled and fitted with the aperture sights - which may have required some machining of the receiver. When converted they may have been competitive as a TR rifle (with converted Enfield no4s and the like) but no longer. I guess the M59 means 1959 so you could be looking at a 50+ year old rifle. As a cheap plinker - OK but they would struggle attract a bid at auction. You are right about the sights though - the Americans love PH sights!