UKPSA shennanigins.

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
BestDrugDoc
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Felton and District Rifle Club

UKPSA shennanigins.

#1 Post by BestDrugDoc »

There seems to be some controversy around the way the UKPSA is run at the moment....

I received an email from the committee (I'm a member) refuting some allegations by a guy who is standing in the election for the committee. The said guy had posted a video making serious allegations and in particular criticizing one of the current committee members.

It all leaves a bad taste and cant be good for shooting - especially if some of these allegations are true but also in the way they have been aired.

Has anyone got a balanced view of what is going on - I don't wish to stir the pot but some more unbiased information would be helpful - if possible!

Thanks.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: UKPSA shennanigins.

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

The author of the video is a member on here.

IMO it was extremely poorly presented/scripted (or perhaps the problem was it wasn't) and the follow up 'actions' on Facebook which allegedly breach UKPSA social media rules will have consequences if they are in fact infractions.

I'll refrain from expressing my own personal opinions but needless to say I think the whole thing has done nothing but harm practical shooting, and even shooting in general, and the fact that this is where peoples attention is being directed despite us staring into the abyss that is the lead ban, is frankly ridiculous.

The title of this thread is somewhat loaded as well I would add.
DVC
BestDrugDoc
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Felton and District Rifle Club

#3 Post by BestDrugDoc »

Wasnt sure what to put as the title - not meant to be loaded.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#4 Post by Dellboy »

Does anyone think the fact that a treasurer with a revoked license is bringing the whole thing into disrepute
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#5 Post by Mattnall »

Dellboy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:07 am Does anyone think the fact that a treasurer with a revoked license is bringing the whole thing into disrepute
It certainly raised a few eyebrows.
And he shoots LBP and s1 shotgun at comps - legally I know but pushing the limits very publicly.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by 1066 »

I thought LBP was in a category of it's own and couldn't be used unless it was actually on your ticket?
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#7 Post by Dellboy »

1066 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:01 pm I thought LBP was in a category of it's own and couldn't be used unless it was actually on your ticket?
Same with sec 1 shotguns
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

RDC

#8 Post by RDC »

Dellboy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:07 am Does anyone think the fact that a treasurer with a revoked license is bringing the whole thing into disrepute
Is that a question or a statement?

People have fallen foul of overly cautious licensing departments and had their certificates pulled for all sorts of reasons. Daring to reach out for help with mental health, for example. Now, I believe we all think we know that wasn't the reason the individual in question had his certificate revoked, but my point is that certificate revocation shouldn't be considered as an automatic sign someone is duff. I'd be alot more concerned if he'd been done for embezzlement or something!

If I recall correctly, he's using a part of the law that allows media use of firearms without an individual certificate. He's not prohibited under Section 21 to my knowledge.

Either way, the majority of the membership who attended last year's AGM voted for him. The online AGM format being used this year will be a great leveler in this respect, I expect.

I have my opinions about him, his high profile continued use of firearms, his position within the UKPSA, and the ensuing drama. Those opinions, whilst critical, don't lay all of the negativity at the feet of Callum, and especially not at the feet of the UKPSA as a whole.

I think there are no winners here to all of this. Shooting as a whole is being weakened by this open drama, played out on social media and youtube. I can only think of one main individual who can benefit from the fallout of from all of this, and it isn't John or Callum.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#9 Post by bradaz11 »

shooting isn't being weakened. the only people who have even heard of it are shooters, no one else cares what thorney thinks. mainstream media aren't going "such and such is talking about someone, this is the state of uk shooting!" It's just politics by people with voices. thats all.

thorney made said stuff and raised certain views he holds. UKPSA said hey, he said all this, and here are 'facts' to prove he's wrong, then invited him to say sorry and retract what he 'published'. he shared them asking for this and made more statements.

highlighting clubs and how they run, isn't weakening shooting. we all know these associations are good earners for the people in charge, just like most charities.

put your pearls down
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
RDC

#10 Post by RDC »

bradaz11 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:55 pm shooting isn't being weakened. the only people who have even heard of it are shooters, no one else cares what thorney thinks. mainstream media aren't going "such and such is talking about someone, this is the state of uk shooting!" It's just politics by people with voices. thats all.

thorney made said stuff and raised certain views he holds. UKPSA said hey, he said all this, and here are 'facts' to prove he's wrong, then invited him to say sorry and retract what he 'published'. he shared them asking for this and made more statements.

highlighting clubs and how they run, isn't weakening shooting. we all know these associations are good earners for the people in charge, just like most charities.

put your pearls down
I think my frustration is that I see it all playing out on social media over the last few years and I've been watching with horror as it appears to all be personal. There are things I do agree with John on, I just don't think the way it's being handled is the correct way.

I think all of the drama does weaken shooting though. Not in a public sense, but within a group of people who should be getting along. It creates and us v them camp mentality that people are pushed into by either side when the truth of it is that most people just want to get along and enjoy shooting with their mates.

I think the vast majority want what they believe is best for practical shooting too. There are differences of opinion, but nothing that can't be worked out by simply talking to each other and working toward common goals. But instead, we have personality clashes and personal grievances that prevent that from happening, positions become more entrenched, and everyone else is negatively impacted by association.

I'm not some UKPSA sycophant and I'm certainly not bezzie mates with the key players. I just enjoy practical shooting and want to see it grow in the UK. I'll shoot anywhere and with anyone as long as it looks like it is going to be fun. Anyone wanting to build bridges and work together will get my vote.