Bowers & Gaskin international (B&G) target pistol

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Re: Bowers & Gaskin international (B&G) target pistol

#11 Post by 1066 »

That's all bringing back memories from 40 years ago. Yes, it was Chris Valentine I was thinking of, Chris was no slouch with a pistol either, I remember shooting against him in various events at Bisley in the '80's, also remember having a chat with him and the chap who made the "Bingley Bullets".
Maybe it was Chris who wrote the review?
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Jeroenw114
Home club or Range: 't Asser Wapen

#12 Post by Jeroenw114 »

Thanks, nice leads! I have found both men, I will see if I can contact them.
Jeroenw114
Home club or Range: 't Asser Wapen

#13 Post by Jeroenw114 »

Slowly I find more info on this piece of British history.These pictures come from a German forum where someone asks the question "what is it?".
That was in 2018 and he got no awnsers on the forum but got info from Alan Westlake that it was produced by a former Britarms employee. That could explain the similarities.
I have had contact with Richard Atkinson. He came to the magazine after this article and all he knows is that from B&G never is heard again.
He will inquire with some people and who knows.

I will also try to contact the 2018 forum member and see if he has any more on this subject.

These pictures show Englisch proof marks under the barrel. And this is not the same pistol as the earlier pictures and not the same as a german magazine I found containing an article.That is a 1981 february issue of DWJ. The conclusion was very well made, well equipped with strange looks. With only a few make bullets accurate and a lot of jams. And priced too high.
So at least three pistols were in Germany.

I must say that the looks still appeal to me. When a good one would pop up for sale in Germany I would try to buy and see what to do with it.

#14 Post by 1066 »

That's very interesting - that looks much more like a production item... I would suggest the the serial number indicates that it is #5. Would the proof house hold records of the serial numbers? And yes, very similar style the the Britarms.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Chapuis

#15 Post by Chapuis »

The logo on the left side of this pistol has triggered a very vague memory in me. I'm pretty sure that I read a review on this pistol in either "Guns Review" or "Handgunner" magazine back in the late seventies or early 80s. I can sort of picture it being on the front cover of the magazine. If I remember correctly it was being touted as being an alternative to the Britarms but was said in the review to be unreliable and slightly problematic, which would tie in with what has already been said.

I too was a competitive pistol shooter and have owned - Browning Match, Walther GSP, Sako Tri-ace and FAS pistols amongst several others. However I have never seen one of these pistols other than in the magazine article that I mentioned.