Another first rifle looking for advice post

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

IlIHYPERIONIlI
Home club or Range: Greenock & district

Re: Another first rifle looking for advice post

#11 Post by IlIHYPERIONIlI »

billgatese30 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:03 pm It will certainly be capable of both. However more likely suited to PRS. What sort of stalking are you looking to do? Do you already have permission from a landowner or are you planning on doing woodland or highseat work, or taking advantage of being located within short distance to the Highlands? This will likely determine how much of a compromise you will be making. A 24" B14 plus a tactical scope will likely be pushing 11-12 lbs without a mod/muzzle break and depending on your age/fitness carrying that over a long stalk on top of your other kit will be a heavy option. You also need to consider your options for how you are extracting your shot animal!

I'm not saying its impossible, and there's people out there who do it, but its surprising how quickly the kilos mount up and cutting down on the weight carried out in the field can make quite a difference at the end of a long day.
Thanks for the reply. I have permission for some local land to me (Argyll) so mainly open hills interspersed with woodland often accessed by quad or Argo , I work in forestry so fitness and the ability to carry that weight won't be an issue. I'm thinking I'll lean towards something more long-range and target then if the weight is a problem I'll take people's advice and pick up a dedicated light weight hunting rifle.
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

#12 Post by billgatese30 »

Sounds good, the ability to access via quad/argo lessens the compromise, certainly at the start while you figure out what does and doesn't work for you.
Chris
IlIHYPERIONIlI

#13 Post by IlIHYPERIONIlI »

I thought that would help, I could imagine the weight would be more difficult if you were long hiking or crawling through forests or deep undergrowth.
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

#14 Post by billgatese30 »

Definitely! I've read of and heard first hand from plenty of people both young and old who have underestimated it (whether after rabbits, fox or deer) and have a seriously cut back their kit weight after being out once or twice. Thankfully if you are used to working in deep forest cover with tools/equipment you are more experienced than most in lugging a lot of weight over tough terrain.

My advice would be get the rifle sorted for PRS or whatever target discipline takes your fancy, then take it out on the quad and see if you would prefer something lighter. FYI either 308 or 6.5cm would be great for both deer and PRS although with different ammo.
Chris
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#15 Post by dromia »

When shooting live quarry you want as little equipment as possible, not just from the weight perspective but for the simplicity.

Conditions in the field are unpredictable and unforgiving, to enable to you to get into a good shooting position, set up, aim and take the shot means you need to be as efficient as possible.

Rifle, scope, ammunition, rope, knife, glass is all I have when I go for beasts all in pockets save for the rifle which has no cover.

You want nothing to complicate the taking of the shot, the process should be as simple as possible

Stalking is just that, it is about your ability to get in close to the quarry to make the shot certain. I would never consider shots on deer of more than 150 yrds leave those shots for the fixed distance targets.

When I was young and working on the estate as a stalker we were issued with Parker Hale No4 sporter conversions with only open sights. The head Keeper would say "you are stalkers not bloody target shooters, if you can't get within 100yrds of a deer then you shouldn't be on my hill. You know you are close enough for the shot when you can see the individual hairs on the hide." We would get issued with 12 rounds of 303 expanding ammunition. One round was for checking zero, the next ten were for the ten hinds you had to shoot in the day and the last one was for giving back to the head keeper 'pon your return to the larder.

The zero plate was set out at 80 yrds.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
IlIHYPERIONIlI

#16 Post by IlIHYPERIONIlI »

Thanks , it's nice to hear someone who actually wants to stalk as close as possible instead of taking unethical shots , that's how I've been learning and definitely be leaving the long range stuff for targets. As for caliber I've got a open slot for a 6.5 cm as I thought that would be good for both stalking and targets and should be slightly less effected by wind than the 308.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#17 Post by dromia »

The noticeable effect of wind at 100yrds or less is negligible.

Un-noticed obstacles are far more of a worry in the field, twigs, bracken, gorse, whin, grass, fence wire etc will all effect a shot and when close to the muzzle can be unseen being below the view of the scope and even if in the scope view can be so blurred as to not be noticed.

Wind is the worry of long range shooters.

In the field wind is for hiding your scent and sound and dictating your approach to the beast.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#18 Post by Pippin89 »

dromia wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:10 pm will all effect a shot and when close to the muzzle can be unseen being below the view of the scope
This reminds me of that classic video of the guy shooting from within his car. Lines up the shot through his scope without realising the muzzle is now pointing directly at his wing mirror... Car repairs were needed! lol