Gaston Glock RIP

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Elshad
Home club or Range: Ham & Petersham RPC

Gaston Glock RIP

#1 Post by Elshad »

Sad news... https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/202 ... ton-glock/

Up there with Samuel Colt and John Browning in my opinion.

A crying shame that the vast majority of us may never be able to own one of his pistols.

Do any pre-1997 members have fond memories of Glocks in the UK (GB)?

RIP
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

Re: Gaston Glock RIP

#2 Post by billgatese30 »

Not in the UK, but I did get to shoot a few mags through a Glock 19 in Vegas a few years ago which was a nice experience.
Chris
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by bnz41 »

Susan has one on 7.3 and shoots it quite regulary through the year. It's one of a limited number tested by the British Military in the trials. Ours is a Glock 19.

Yes Rest in Peace Gaston Glock.
BamBam

#4 Post by BamBam »

I still have my Glock field knife and shovel, but had to sell my Glock 23 in 2002.
Excellent self defence tools out of the box, the pistols that is.
RIP Mr Glock.

The original pistols were designed by a team led by Wilhelm Bubits, who went on to design the Steyr M and Caracal pistols.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#5 Post by Daryll »

RIP Gaston Glock...
I'm a big fan of Glocks. Before the confiscation of 1997, I had 2, a G17 and a G21.
The G21 I used in standard class for Practical Pistol comps... 13 rnds of .45 in a standard mag , making Major, gave you a handful of firepower.

I loved that gun.....
JammyGuns

#6 Post by JammyGuns »

I love the Glocks Iv'e shot over at NITSA (17,19 & 34) in NI, especially the 19 - and imo it (NI) remains one of the best options for us poor sods stuck on the UK mainland. I even like the way they look on a sort of simple utilitarian level. Also, with it being such a famous pistol, we at least (trying to look on the bright side here...) have a plethora of airsoft/airgun replicas to aid in practicing some of the fundamentals too - which always makes handling the real deal a touch easier imo. All in all it really is hard to fully calculate the huge effect Gaston Glock has had on the gun world. RIP Sir.
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#7 Post by shoppe »

I did not own a glock but one of our club members did.
It was a 17.
I remember the first time I had a shot of it
Alan( the owner) give a quick run down .
I dry fired it first.
It did not sound like a " real" pistol!
However ,once firing it for real, it was great.
On that first occasion, I have fired about 100 plus rounds.
Very additive and easy to get on with.
Over many occasions I must have fired about 700/ 800 rounds through it which is nothing compared to what Alan fired through it.
Never missed a beat.
My wife used to use it too and loved it compared to the 686 I had.
As it happens ,I was speaking to a person who uses one for his work about 3 weeks ago.
His words describing it was " it just works everytime, all the time"
Cheers
Shoppe
YattonShooter

#8 Post by YattonShooter »

I had a Glock 22 in .40 S&W, which I used for practical pistol. For me it was a big step up from my 8 round capacity Sig P225. It shot flawlessly over many rounds. Mind you it was always a bit tough getting that last round in the magazine.
Oddly enough I found some photos the other day, which I took before I handed it in back in ‘97.
I fired one again when I was in Los Angeles the other month, still shot a good group.
rufrdr

#9 Post by rufrdr »

YattonShooter wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:34 pm I had a Glock 22 in .40 S&W, which I used for practical pistol. For me it was a big step up from my 8 round capacity Sig P225. It shot flawlessly over many rounds. Mind you it was always a bit tough getting that last round in the magazine.
Oddly enough I found some photos the other day, which I took before I handed it in back in ‘97.
I fired one again when I was in Los Angeles the other month, still shot a good group.
Where were you shooting in Los Angeles? I lived there for some time until 6 years ago.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
YattonShooter

#10 Post by YattonShooter »

I went to the Los Angeles Gun Club.
A good selection of pistols and rifles to try.
I spent far too much money but had a great time 😀