Range Officer

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Robbo

Re: Range Officer

#11 Post by Robbo »

Both clubs I being to insist that there are a minimum of two members at the range (1 shooting, 1 RO), for all of the reason mentioned above.
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

#12 Post by billgatese30 »

We get to use the range solo once a full member, the range is secured by means of an electronic lock so there is no access to anyone who isn't a member. In terms of safety then as mentioned its safer than being solo in the field with a loaded firearm as its a more controlled environment but I guess different clubs have different views which is fine with me. If more than one person is there then someone takes responsibility as RO (normally whoever was there first as they will have already signed the RO log). If the RO leaves, then someone will sign on as RO. Whoever is last out isolates the extraction/lights and locks the outside door.
Chris
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#13 Post by dromia »

Single users are more of a target at exit and entry, especially if the ne'erdowells know that single use goes on at the premises.

No doubt your risk assessment will have that covered.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

#14 Post by billgatese30 »

It does. We have CCTV which covers quite a distance either direction so you can see what is going on (as much as you can from CCTV anyway) plus some very bright floodlights. There will always be the risk of being followed but no more so than most clubs which may for instance have a public car park etc.
Chris
Dellboy
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#15 Post by Dellboy »

I have never shot at a club solo i always thought its a good idea to have a backup in case things go wrong ..
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

RDC

#16 Post by RDC »

Jersey wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:30 pm Has anyone any recommendations or shared experiences?
Don't be afraid to enforce the rules, even with your mates. They might get the hump with it, but ultimately it's about ensuring everyone is safe and continues to enjoy themselves.

I've had to stop people shooting a couple of times over the years and one person understood, the other was difficult about it. The difficult guy was ex forces and loved to remind everyone about it. He was a hazard on a practical range (and I suspect the static rifle ranges too...) and refused to listen to range orders because he'd been in the mob and thought he knew better.

I agree with some of the other comments that it is a mostly thankless task, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. PSG tended to be the best to RO, the worst was ROing Target Rifle competitions, bunch of divas.
Jersey
Home club or Range: Crabbe - Jersey

#17 Post by Jersey »

20series wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:15 pm I RO once a month at our club, I enjoy doing it and we get a £50 reduction in annual membership as a thankyou.

Alan
My rota would only be one Sunday morning every month. A RCO advised me this morning that the club holds powder & purchases same with ammunition from the UK that I can piggyback on to save carriage, again a further upside.

RDC wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:04 pm
Jersey wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:30 pm Has anyone any recommendations or shared experiences?
Don't be afraid to enforce the rules, even with your mates. They might get the hump with it, but ultimately it's about ensuring everyone is safe and continues to enjoy themselves.

I've had to stop people shooting a couple of times over the years and one person understood, the other was difficult about it. The difficult guy was ex forces and loved to remind everyone about it. He was a hazard on a practical range (and I suspect the static rifle ranges too...) and refused to listen to range orders because he'd been in the mob and thought he knew better.

I agree with some of the other comments that it is a mostly thankless task, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. PSG tended to be the best to RO, the worst was ROing Target Rifle competitions, bunch of divas.
There's zero tolerance to anything that would compromise personal safety.
It's surprising how many feel the need to touch firearms, magazines etc when people are ahead of the line and a sharp reprimand gets everyone's attention.

I think spending sometime as a RO could be considered a worthwhile use of an odd day a month & at least I'm saving on ammunition...
Mauserbill
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Range

#18 Post by Mauserbill »

billgatese30 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:14 pm It does. We have CCTV which covers quite a distance either direction so you can see what is going on (as much as you can from CCTV anyway) plus some very bright floodlights. There will always be the risk of being followed but no more so than most clubs which may for instance have a public car park etc.
Hello
What use is CCTV and lights when the perps have hoods and masks.
RDC

#19 Post by RDC »

Mauserbill wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:17 pm
billgatese30 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:14 pm It does. We have CCTV which covers quite a distance either direction so you can see what is going on (as much as you can from CCTV anyway) plus some very bright floodlights. There will always be the risk of being followed but no more so than most clubs which may for instance have a public car park etc.
Hello
They make it easier for you to be aware of their presence, and can therefore react accordingly.

I'd be ringing the police about suspicious people wearing masks and hoods lurking around a shooting range whilst also taking steps to ensure the safety and security of all firearms and ammunition in the meantime.

This scenario doesn't just apply to people shooting on a range with no other club members about, it can equally apply to a committee member turning up early to get everything opened up, and set up for the day's/night's shoot. Sometimes it isn't practical to have multiple people turn up at the same time just to open up due to work commitments and family commitments, but stuff still needs setting up for the club members to get shooting once they do arrive.

Floodlights and CCTV are useful for when more people are there too. Less likely for someone to be skulking round the car park waiting for someone to exit.
billgatese30

#20 Post by billgatese30 »

Mauserbill wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:17 pm
Hello
RDC wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:59 pm
They make it easier for you to be aware of their presence, and can therefore react accordingly.

I'd be ringing the police about suspicious people wearing masks and hoods lurking around a shooting range whilst also taking steps to ensure the safety and security of all firearms and ammunition in the meantime.

This scenario doesn't just apply to people shooting on a range with no other club members about, it can equally apply to a committee member turning up early to get everything opened up, and set up for the day's/night's shoot. Sometimes it isn't practical to have multiple people turn up at the same time just to open up due to work commitments and family commitments, but stuff still needs setting up for the club members to get shooting once they do arrive.

Floodlights and CCTV are useful for when more people are there too. Less likely for someone to be skulking round the car park waiting for someone to exit.
As Mauserbill says, at least you can have a recce and theres no need to leave the safety of the locked steel door to the building if you can see anything odd for the 50 or so yards from the CCTV. And given how thick the steel is on our main door, if they break that down I'm doing as I'm told lol.
Chris