FAC Variation took 6 xxxxx s...!

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
John Gunn
Home club or Range: Bisley

FAC Variation took 6 xxxxx s...!

#1 Post by John Gunn »

Just so you know if you are unfortunate enough to live in a Police Authority where they take months.
Sussex and Surry can do it in 6 days - that's SIX DAYS.
My recent ( last year) renewal was just as efficient. I did do my bit by ensuring that all the paperwork was sent in 3-4 months before expiry.

Sunday I completed their online form. Monday I posted my FAC to them (First Class Signed for. £2.75)
This morning -Saturday - It came through the letter box.

I really don't think anyone can do better than that.

It was a fairly simple one for one variation. Remove a .38 LBP and add another .22 rifle.

Can anyone beat that aside from getting it done in person at Bisley.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

Re: FAC Variation took 6 xxxxx s...!

#2 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Are they using there own versions of the application and variation forms or the standard forms, I thought that that all forces have harmonised.
But knowing how they all work is still a mystery. My authority laugh when I asked about online form filling. only available to confirm sales.
Polchraine

#3 Post by Polchraine »

4.5 years ago I sent in my FAC and SGC renewals - got a call within a week but had to delay the visit. After the visit, new Certificates arrived in under 5 days. That was with the Met - wondering how good teh next one will be.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Incom
Home club or Range: Wellington Rifle & Pistol Club

#4 Post by Incom »

I just had a variation back from Lancashire Police - it took 6 days from posting to receiving it back. I was quite impressed.

My friend who is currently at 7 months with no word on his FAC grant is less impressed though!
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#5 Post by Pippin89 »

John Gunn wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:15 am Can anyone beat that aside from getting it done in person at Bisley.
Yeah I can beat that... Also Sussex. I posted it off to them Thursday, they received it Friday and I got it back Monday. ONE working day! I then found myself talking to a guy in a gun shop across the border in Hampshire and he told me he had been waiting something like 6 months for a variation. I made him very jealous!
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#6 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
So what is so difficult in the processing of a variation, you access the computer data base make the changes, print, post and hey presto job done they should all be doing it in less than a week. just see how quickly you can get a speeding ticket
Blackstuff

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

There are dozens of factors affecting variation speed. Its a bit like you and your friend taking your cars to the same garage and then being surprised that your friends tyre replacement was sorted faster than your unknown electrical fault.
DVC