NRA Handloaders certification.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

NRA Handloaders certification.

#1 Post by dromia »

I have seen this and as it is from the NRA I really didn't bother much with it as such documents from the NRA are usually so bad and ill informed that it is better for my well being not to read them.

I used to give the NRA the benefit of the doubt that being Bisley centric they were just doing their usual of doing something for Bisley and bugger anyone who doesn't shoot there, how ever on top of that they now seem to be making these things up using people who know nothing about the subject.

Still there is probably more profit for them in people using factory ammunition.

Just looking at the email notice it talks about people who don't handload but use other peoples handloads!!!!! FFS!!!!!! so it is bound to go down hill from there.

Anyway I have a had a few customers in who have been trying to work out what it may mean to their MoD range shooting and the speculation is rife.

Why I try and click the link to the code of practice I get a box telling me that following the link is either a scam (nothing new there then from the nra) or being tracked. So that link won't be followed.

Does anyone know what the consequences of this dire document are, if any.

Or is a just a case of read, sign the document and carry on as before?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Jorden
Home club or Range: ponteland

Re: NRA Handloaders certification.

#2 Post by Jorden »

This I am sure is another of the NRA`s empire building schemes, you have to go onto their website, read the handloading information, download the signing sheet and give it to your club chairman, it is then put onto your SCC card, if you do not do this you cannot use hand loaded ammunition on military ranges, I am sure that in a few years you will have to pass an NRA handloading course for all of this to happen.
DavidRees
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

#3 Post by DavidRees »

Dromia,

Your last line pretty much sums it up.

The Handloading Code of Practice is largely cribbed from the preamble of various reloading manuals, it seems to me. Nothing really bad in it, with regard to handloading, and I have to admit, it does contain (given the likely source) some sensible guidelines.

They are very much against the idea of ammunition being downloaded to fall within range safety limits. However, the very last part (Sect 7.2) gives a dispensation for pistol ammunition being shot at distances up to 50m, which was presumably granted to permit the sport of Gallary Rifle to continue. I exclusively shoot GR nowadays, and downloaded ammunition (ie., .357Mag cases with .38SPL loads, or .44Mag cases containing .44SPL loads) is pretty much essential.

So the impact on me is minimal. I've signed the declaration, and returned it to the NRA, so that my SCC can be updated.

On the side-topic of people shooting handloads made by others--this exemption is useful. My wife shoots GR too, and uses my handloads, in the guns we jointly own. She's never handloaded; is unlikely ever to start, and a ban on her using handloads from me would prevent her taking part in GR comps on MoD ranges. This is a special case, however, and in general the sharing of handloads among shooters is NOT a good idea!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

I really don't understand what people mean by "downloaded".

Taking factory ammunition for example very few companies make ammunition producing exactly the same velocity and pressure as each others so one companies product is "downloaded" from another companies. So is that not eligible?

Or to not be downloaded does that mean all ammunition should be at the SAMI CiP maximums.

People are just using terms without any form of definition so thus making the whole thing meangingless, the nra and their "procedures" are out Kafkaesqueing Kafka!

I see no problem in your wife using your handloads as they are made for the rifles they are used in.

If someone really wants to then I will let them shoot my handloads in my rifles that the load was designed for.

I would not give them my handloads to shoot in their rifles.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Tallguy

#5 Post by Tallguy »

If you have your hand loaded ammo to someone else to shoot in their own rifle and it exploded in the breech etc, would you have a liability? I do not use hand loaded ammo.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#6 Post by Pippin89 »

Not to forget of course, that some RFD's, including Fultons, offer reloading services. Therefore, it would be loaded by others.

As for the form, they are just covering their a**e and putting the onus of errors back onto the shooter which isn't so terrible really. Just read it, sign it and get it on your SCC. It is a far easier process for getting that on your SCC than it is anything else really...

Downloading from the Bisley bible:
Note that downloading ammunition is not accepted as a means to bring rounds that would otherwise exceed ME/MV values within a range’s limits.
So I believe they are defining "Downloading" as reducing the load below the factory standards in order to be within the range safety limits. For example, you can't download a .50BMG to below the range limits at Bisley and then it's OK to shoot. I believe this to rule out the possibility of someone accidentally shooting the wrong ammo and exceeding the limits. Obviously there is then the question of ammo where some factory loads are within limits but some exceed them but I will leave that to another discussion.
Blackstuff

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

Ar$e covering exercise, plain and simple.
DVC
dromia
Site Admin

#8 Post by dromia »

Well the nra must have some arse with all the shte they come out with!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#9 Post by Pete »

They're just trying to formalise the arse covering bit. It's sad that all this bollox is necessary in the first place, but, that's people for you.
And it will reflect on the rest of us, and the NRA, when some knuckle-dragger ends up wearing his bolt in his face because he hasn't got a clue what he's doing...the "meedja" will make sure of that

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
davidh195

#10 Post by davidh195 »

Received this from local club today, hadn't realised it also includes ranges using NRA insurance.
The NRA have introduced a Code of Practice for Hand Loading Firearms Ammunition.

Any person who handloads/reloads ammunition for use on NRA or any MOD range or range covered by insurance provided through the NRA must first read and agree to abide by this Code of Practice (CoP).

As XXXX insurance is arranged through the NRA all XXXX members who handloads/reloads ammunition must read and agree to abide by this Code of Practice (CoP).

‘Handloaded Ammunition’ will be added as a recognised category to a SCC, where required, upon receipt of this signed declaration. Please see attached SCC requirements.

The implementation date is 1st June 2024.
David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......