Quickload run please

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Daryll
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Quickload run please

#1 Post by Daryll »

Hi Gents.. if someone has Quickload, can they run some loads through for me please...

6.5x55 SE/SKAN, Browning X Bolt 24'' barrel.
Lapua cases, Hornady ELD-M 140gn, CCI 200 LR Primers, Vhit N160.

The Vhit load manual says between 37.2 and 43.8 gns, with velocities between 2373 and 2679 fps in a 26'' barrel

I've tried loads from 40 to 43.5gns, but my max velocity is just under 2500 fps... I realise I'll be losing about 50fps with the 2'' shorter barrel, but they still should be about 2600fps, which is the sort of value I'm loooking for.

TIA

Daryll.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Quickload run please

#2 Post by dromia »

The only data allowable here is pressure tested data.

Quickload is a predictor software and as such is not pressure tested.

The output is only as good as the input, and your input data is scant.

Regardless such data is not acceptable here especially if it suggests loads greater than those published by the powder manufacturer.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

My version of quickload does not have data for 6.5x55 SE/SKAN the nearest to it would be the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

Are you running these over a Chronograph.
Daryll
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#5 Post by Daryll »

Hi Alpha, yes, I tested 4 loads yesterday over the chrono (Magnetospeed v3).... the 43.5gn load averaged out at 2489 over 5 shots.
ukrifleman

#6 Post by ukrifleman »

I've tried loads from 40 to 43.5gns, but my max velocity is just under 2500 fps... I realise I'll be losing about 50fps with the 2'' shorter barrel, but they still should be about 2600fps, which is the sort of value I'm loooking for.

You will be unlikely to match published loads exactly, as there are so many variables' between them and your loads.
For example, differences in the barrels used for published loads and yours (not just length) different powder/primers/batches, ambient temperature, barometric pressure etc.
A good test is to load some rounds, shoot some on a cold winters day and save some for a warm summers day and see how they perform against each other!

As for Quick-load a useful tool I grant you, but at best educated guesswork not hard data and only as good as the information input.