Lead Ban Update

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.

Re: Lead Ban Update

#11 Post by 1066 »

Just a pitiful 2,759 people responded to the original survey concerning the lead ban..... Due to the "Overwhelming" response the report was delayed.. Of the 2,759 people who responded, less than half were shooters. If only 10% of SGC/FAC holders, never mind the million or so airgun shooters bother to respond we might well not be in the position we now find ourselves.

Due to the high response rate (2,759 responses) the restriction process was extended by 6-months in line with the provisions in Article 72(1).
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Blackstuff

#12 Post by Blackstuff »

jmc67 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:16 am Just reading the latest document now. Question - Under #4 (on page 7) with the restrictions on outdoor target shooting with shot, does this also encompass clay pigeon then? I'm assuming it does, otherwise I can't get my mind around the annual release of lead number for 'target shooting' in table 6 on page 59.
Yes it includes clays, the primary source of lead ammo being 'dispersed'. Clay shooters can of course change to steel shot, although how Skeet towers, and some Trap setups will work for ricochets i'm not sure.
1066 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:39 am Just a pitiful 2,759 people responded to the original survey concerning the lead ban..... Due to the "Overwhelming" response the report was delayed.. Of the 2,759 people who responded, less than half were shooters. If only 10% of SGC/FAC holders, never mind the million or so airgun shooters bother to respond we might well not be in the position we now find ourselves.

Due to the high response rate (2,759 responses) the restriction process was extended by 6-months in line with the provisions in Article 72(1).
Yep frighteningly apathetic response, but as the clay and game shooters (the people who gave this proposal traction by not bothering to adhere to current restrictions for wetland shooting with lead), knew they had an option (steel), the majority probably didn't bother. That said, the NRA and UKPSAs responses were woefully inadequate, despite them being the most at threat kukkuk
DVC
jmc67
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#13 Post by jmc67 »

Thanks Blackstuff. Time to have a proper read of it again, and send a response to the latest document again.....
Graham M

#14 Post by Graham M »

Just filled in the response. AGAIN!!!!!

I have also spread the word and HOPEFULLY more shooters will respond this time.

As an aside I have just had a look on another UK forum, and was amazed at the selfish attitude displayed by some of the more "outspoken" members on that site.
Some of them are incensed that our Olympic clay shooters may be getting a dispensation to carry on using lead for competition use. As far as they are concerned they should be made to use steel, and if this prevents them from entering the Olympics or representing their country............... tough sh!te wallhead
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Mattnall
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#15 Post by Mattnall »

It amazes me that the main reason for not proposing a total lead ban in some cases is the potential lack of compliance with the laws and the problems with enforcing them.
Our own law-abiding nature is working against us it would seem.
At this stage, the Agency is unable to determine whether and to what extent lead bullets that remain available for target shooting would continue to be purchased for target shooting but actually used for live quarry shooting (which would be unlawful in the event that a restriction is implemented).
Such an outcome would undermine the effectiveness of a restriction on the placing on the market of lead bullets for live quarry shooting.
The continued wide availability of airgun ammunition for indoor use (the large majority of total use) would highly likely undermine any practical enforcement of the placing on the market of airgun ammunition for outdoor use....For these reasons, including significant practical difficulties in the ability to monitor or enforce such a restriction, the Agency does not consider any restriction options to be monitorable or enforceable.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
YattonShooter

#16 Post by YattonShooter »

Words fail me. Once again we are our own worse enemy. We fail to respond and then complain when things go against us.
We all need to respond to these consultations. Yes they may not go our way but sometimes we can get concessions or compromise but to not respond because it doesn’t affect me is so narrow minded.
Now get off your backsides, get to your keyboards and respond.
Rant over.
The Event

#17 Post by The Event »

YattonShooter wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:04 pm Words fail me. Once again we are our own worse enemy. We fail to respond and then complain when things go against us.
That's probably because every time we do respond it still goes against us. When fighting has been repeatedly shown to be futile most people will give up trying.
MistAgain

#18 Post by MistAgain »

The Event wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:47 pm
YattonShooter wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:04 pm Words fail me. Once again we are our own worse enemy. We fail to respond and then complain when things go against us.
That's probably because every time we do respond it still goes against us. When fighting has been repeatedly shown to be futile most people will give up trying.
The last time there was a survey the person who had all my club members email addresses couldnt be bothered to tell them anything .

And as the Fatuous Five who are running my club now seem more interested in running it into the ground i dont expect any action from them .

#19 Post by 1066 »

The Event wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:47 pm
We have almost never fought and the shooting community have rarely responded. The only time I thought we showed any spirit whatsoever was on the London marches in the late '80s where 10-20,000 shooter showed up to protest against the handgun ban.

If the associations were all to work together and the shotgun shooters realised that they need to support the air gunners and the traditional TR chaps needed to support the practical shotgunners instead of looking down their noses and thinking "it won't effect me" we would all be in a better place.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
MistAgain

#20 Post by MistAgain »

It is difficult to expect associations to work together when some of the shooting community are driving other types of shooters out .