Lead Ban Update

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
redcat
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

Re: Lead Ban Update

#41 Post by redcat »

It seems that outdoor ranges that implement actions to minimise the risks of lead on health and the environment will be exempt from the ban. This would presumably include de-leading of the backstops on a regular basis. Given that the military do not use lead bullets they could argue that they do not wish to pay for this (expensive) operation on their ranges and an easy solution could be to ban civilian use of MOD ranges.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#42 Post by Dark Skies »

redcat wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:19 am
Dark Skies wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:59 am I'm a member of a large club. We have morning shoots twice per week and evening shoots three times a week. It's an indoor range with permission for lead ammunition only. EVERYONE, then, shoots lead. In addition, at least a third shoot shotguns. I'd say at least half are also NRA members, so also shoot at Bisley and such.
And yet, despite the size of the membership, it seems I'm the only one that follows what's going on with the HSE and lead.
Page 15, item 6 in the document looks like the ban might not affect indoor shooting.

Redcat
That's true. But my point was that, given lead is at the core of our (as a club) shooting, you'd think this would be an issue we'd all be following. The exemption is something they won't know about either.
redcat wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:09 pm It seems that outdoor ranges that implement actions to minimise the risks of lead on health and the environment will be exempt from the ban. This would presumably include de-leading of the backstops on a regular basis. Given that the military do not use lead bullets they could argue that they do not wish to pay for this (expensive) operation on their ranges and an easy solution could be to ban civilian use of MOD ranges.

Redcat
Is military ammunition no longer jacketed lead these days?
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
redcat
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#43 Post by redcat »

Dark Skies wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:53 pm

For the purpose of the exercise FMJ bullets do not seem to constitute a health hazard (unless they are headed in your direction) and are not subject to a ban. If they were then most of us would likely be looking for a new hobby.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Mauserbill
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Range

#44 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Is it me or is this subject getting still even more complex and confusing, I have not heard the HSE comment on the use of FMJs not being subject to a ban, when are the final results due I for one would like to draw a line under this with regard to what is being banned and what isn't.
poll007
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#45 Post by poll007 »

redcat wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:10 pm
Dark Skies wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:53 pm

For the purpose of the exercise FMJ bullets do not seem to constitute a health hazard (unless they are headed in your direction) and are not subject to a ban. If they were then most of us would likely be looking for a new hobby.

Redcat
I can't see anything to say that jacketed lead bullets would be exempt. the only reference to them in the document is where they discuss the fact that a jacketed bullet shot into a dear still leaves lead in the carcass which could be ingested. Suggesting that FMJ may well be part of the ban.

Its worth noting they refer to "lead in ammunition" as well as lead bullets, lead shot etc. which could include FMJ depending on who is reading the proposal

Regarding militaries needing to worry about there ranges- police, military and "non civilian uses" seem to be exempt anyway. so if a MOD range isnt performing lead retrieval they wouldn't have to, but they might have to stop civilians from shooting on those ranges. (unless the exemption applies to the MOD range rather than the MOD personnel using it)
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#46 Post by Blackstuff »

There is no exemption for FMJ rounds that i've read in the document, not sure where thats come from? wtf
DVC
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#47 Post by Blackstuff »

In a recent email from the UKPSA Regional Director;

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has finally released their consultation on the potential socioeconomic impacts of a proposed lead in ammunition ban. We're liaising with IPSC, given their focus on a similar situation in the EU and we’re formulating an official response to this consultation. Whilst there remains much concern about the so-called science behind this ban and its focus being primarily on live quarry shooting, it is important we all engage with the process, particularly as this consultation is about the ‘socioeconomic effects’ (health, well-being & economic impacts) of such a ban. Before we issue any guidance on how you as an individual might like to respond, we do need some input from you our shooting community so we can present data to back up any claims we make as an organisation.

This is very likely our last chance to influence the outcome of this processes and any derogations that come forward. I appreciate the previous lead consultation may have felt a little overwhelming and quite complex, but this question is simple; Will you're enjoyment of life and prosperity be diminished if target shooting suffers because of this proposed lead ban? Please may I ask you to follow this link and complete the following very short questionnaire https://forms.gle/SY62jz4N3x3Mujfx9
DVC
stottycake
Home club or Range: Tcsc,.gardners guns,

#48 Post by stottycake »

Blackstuff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:33 am In a recent email from the UKPSA Regional Director;

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has finally released their consultation on the potential socioeconomic impacts of a proposed lead in ammunition ban. We're liaising with IPSC, given their focus on a similar situation in the EU and we’re formulating an official response to this consultation. Whilst there remains much concern about the so-called science behind this ban and its focus being primarily on live quarry shooting, it is important we all engage with the process, particularly as this consultation is about the ‘socioeconomic effects’ (health, well-being & economic impacts) of such a ban. Before we issue any guidance on how you as an individual might like to respond, we do need some input from you our shooting community so we can present data to back up any claims we make as an organisation.

This is very likely our last chance to influence the outcome of this processes and any derogations that come forward. I appreciate the previous lead consultation may have felt a little overwhelming and quite complex, but this question is simple; Will you're enjoyment of life and prosperity be diminished if target shooting suffers because of this proposed lead ban? Please may I ask you to follow this link and complete the following very short questionnaire https://forms.gle/SY62jz4N3x3Mujfx9
DONE,
ukrifleman
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#49 Post by ukrifleman »

Duly filled in and submitted.
ukrifleman
shoppe
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Any field

#50 Post by shoppe »