Lead Ban Update

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Lead Ban Update

#1 Post by Blackstuff »

Hello all,

Please see link below for latest on the lead ban.

I haven't read the entire thing but it would appear indoor ranges are going to get a reprieve and in most cases outdoor ranges for lead bullets. Lead shotgun cartridges are effectively going to be banned for all other than Olympic level clay shooters a la the handgun ban, which means Practical Shotgun is going to be essentially banned by proxy ****

https://content.govdelivery.com/account ... ns/374dc6d

There is a further consultation which I would recommend everyone fills in (this time!)
DVC
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

Re: Lead Ban Update

#2 Post by waterford103 »

Death by a thousand cuts , for no good reason !
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by Pete »

Why can't steel be used for practical shotgun?

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#4 Post by Mattnall »

Pete wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:56 pm Why can't steel be used for practical shotgun?

Pete
Ricochet hazard from steel targets I would guess.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#5 Post by Mauserbill »

waterford103 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:02 am Death by a thousand cuts , for no good reason !
Hello
"There is a very good reason", The Government and Gun Lobby don't want firearms in the hands of private individuals, I think we are now getting closer to a death by 100 cuts. I think that the word consultation should be changed to Farce, how many more times before the man tries to stick it to us again for another trumped up reason.

#6 Post by 1066 »

If (when?) we get a change of government and that Cooper woman has anything to do with it I'd say the writing is definitely on the wall.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#7 Post by Pete »

No government wants an armed and competent population........(with the possible exception of Switzerland...)

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

Can the targets used for Practical Shot Gun not be made of a different material to stop Ricochets I have a shot gun certificate but I dont own any Shot guns and I have never shot Practical so I dont know any thing about the Discipline. Looks like Shot Gun holders are going to be the main Sufferers. I feel your pain.
Blackstuff

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

As mentioned PSG primarily uses 6"x6" steel plates as targets, at an engagement distance of 5-25m for the most part.

Even if some miracle material was invented for new targets that didn't rebound the steel shot (and didn't disintegrate after a handful of shots), lots of PSG venues are quarries and other places with hard ground/backstops and the ricochet risk would still be there.

Further, most venues require the use of fibre wads to make sure there's as little mess left behind as possible and nothing permanent. Economically priced steel cartridges have regular plastic wads (but are still more expensive than lead carts, despite what this report claims). If you're willing to pay double the normal cost you can get so called 'eco-wads' but I've no idea how long/whether they actually do disintegrate and what they disintegrate into.

Semi-auto and pump-action firearms are on the tick list of the 1972 McKay White Paper of firearms/shooting items to be banned, looks like they might have got another section checked off the list. ****

I suspect there's going to be a flood of FAC/S1 shotguns and non-steel proofed older guns on the market very soon :cry:
DVC
jmc67
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#10 Post by jmc67 »

Just reading the latest document now. Question - Under #4 (on page 7) with the restrictions on outdoor target shooting with shot, does this also encompass clay pigeon then? I'm assuming it does, otherwise I can't get my mind around the annual release of lead number for 'target shooting' in table 6 on page 59.