Lead Ban Update

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
PeterN

Re: Lead Ban Update

#91 Post by PeterN »

I have sent my contribution to this latest plan to reduce participation in shooting sports. I have been reading through the document they produced. It seems to state that they estimate 95% of outdoor ranges are deleaded on an annual basis, so they think their proposals on removing lead from an outdoor range are not onerous. I know my club outdoor range has been deleaded once in the 35 years I have been using it. When the backstop was dug out, they didn't find as much metal as they thought they would, so not sure where it all went. How often do other clubs delead their outdoor ranges? I know of another range that is used occasionally now but has been in use since WW1. It is unusual in that it is not a sloped sand backstop but a soft limestone cliff face. A large hole, about 5 or 6 feet high, 12 feet or so wide and 12 feet or more deep is the backstop, bullets ending up at the back of the hole. I doubt that this range has ever been deleaded. The cliff face shows bullet marks over about a 100 yard length from when the military used it. This range will probably be closed by what they propose as the field in front of the cliff face is used by the farmer for growing crops.
Regards
Peter.
Blackstuff

#92 Post by Blackstuff »

So 100% of the ranges you use aren't deleaded, but you're willing to accept their figure that 95% of outdoor ranges ARE deleaded....interesting.... teanews

Annoyingly the IPSC World Shotgun Shoot in Thailand finished just after the deadline for submissions and two of the new World Champions are from the UK. I hope there is a further opportunity to let them know what they're proposing to destroy. troutslapping
DVC
RDC

#93 Post by RDC »

Blackstuff wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:05 am Annoyingly the IPSC World Shotgun Shoot in Thailand finished just after the deadline for submissions and two of the new World Champions are from the UK. I hope there is a further opportunity to let them know what they're proposing to destroy. troutslapping
Agreed, a shame it didn't align! I mentioned the World Shoot and the team we were sending to represent the Nation, who will be (did!) performing to a very high standard. The proposed ban would further diminish the UK on a sporting world stage.
lapua338

#94 Post by lapua338 »

The proposed ban would further diminish the UK on a sporting world stage
The statement is irrelevant.

The political class and their handlers don't want the common people to possess firearms.

This truth applies to much of the Western world.
Blackstuff

#95 Post by Blackstuff »

I see BASC has finally released their response. 4 days after the deadline closed so its members couldn't use it as a basis for their own responses. Outstanding effort again(!) troutslapping
DVC
Blackstuff

#96 Post by Blackstuff »

Small amount of feedback re the response to the latest consultation (8000 responses compared to the previous 2800, still low, but at least going the right way!)

https://www.ukpsa.co.uk/news/ukpsa-memb ... sultation/
DVC

#97 Post by 1066 »

Blackstuff wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:31 am Small amount of feedback re the response to the latest consultation (8000 responses compared to the previous 2800, still low, but at least going the right way!)

https://www.ukpsa.co.uk/news/ukpsa-memb ... sultation/
Still absolutely pitiful in my opinion, that's a response rate of just 1%. Everyone who "did their bit" and bothered to spend a few minutes to support their sport should wear a cap badge to show it - the rest should be hanging their heads in shame.

As of March 2022, there were a total of 151,218 firearm certificates and 522,627 shotgun certificates on issue in England and Wales
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Mattnall
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#98 Post by Mattnall »

I wonder how they quantify their "leadership in rallying the shooting community" as it were. Apart from a rough total number of responses received no figures are mentioned.
I saw a lot of calls-to-reply from many interest groups and the UKPSA certainly wasn't any bigger than BASC or many other interest groups in the social media I frequent.
Self congratulatory post with no substance. Doesn't really tell us anything.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Blackstuff

#99 Post by Blackstuff »

At least the UKPSA published a response guide before the deadline to put a response in, unlike BASC, or the sell out response from the NRA. But yes, hardly marches on Downing Street organised, from any body.
DVC
MistAgain

#100 Post by MistAgain »

Blackstuff wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:09 am At least the UKPSA published a response guide before the deadline to put a response in, unlike BASC, or the sell out response from the NRA. But yes, hardly marches on Downing Street organised, from any body.
That is true , they did keep their members informed , and so far they seem prepared to fight . Even if its only for their own membership .

Its just a pity that there wasnt more leadership and advice at grass roots club level .