Firearms licensing APP publication

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Graham M

Firearms licensing APP publication

#1 Post by Graham M »

Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Blackstuff

Re: Firearms licensing APP publication

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

"Forces that choose not to align their activities with statutory/non-statutory guidance and this APP should notify the national policing lead for firearms and explosives licensing" CHOOSE!? 5mith I think we've found the problem here then! wallhead

Its an interesting read and at least they eventually get around to mentioning the fact they're supposed to be providing gun owners with a sevice, although this is slightly comical considering the last consultation effectively asking whether certificate holders are worthy of retaining their HRA rights;

"Forces must deliver a high-quality service that encompasses public engagement and complies with the Human Rights Act 1998"
DVC
Graham M

#3 Post by Graham M »

Yes that's the first thing that grabbed my attention. So what does this actually mean???............................It means that any of the police services in the UK can simply ignore the guidance by stating that they are not "Choosing" to follow it.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
walesdave

#4 Post by walesdave »

Graham M wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:49 am Yes that's the first thing that grabbed my attention. So what does this actually mean???............................It means that any of the police services in the UK can simply ignore the guidance by stating that they are not "Choosing" to follow it.
Few years back, Gwents' head FEO said exactly this when challenged about local GP's not engaging with the (then) new rules regarding filling in medical forms. I asked him face to face if Gwent was cherry picking the bits of guidance they liked while ignoring the bits they didn't: his answer "Yes".

He's since retired - pity, as while we had many disagreements at least he was honest and had genuine good intentions.