Parker Hale 1200TX

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

PeterN

Parker Hale 1200TX

#1 Post by PeterN »

I must have have had my PH 1200TX for 20 years or more. It doesn't get shot a lot as I usually concentrate on my military rifles. However, when I do shoot it, I really enjoy shooting it. It is nice to have a rifle that you can alter the sights in less than increments of 100 yards. I had it out yesterday and had a good day with it shooting some RG85 and GGG 147 grain ammunition. I bought it from a friend who bought it in the late 70s/early 80s period. I started to look up the history of the PH1200TX on Google and old PH catalogues. All the information says the barrel should be 26 inches long. I thought mine doesn't look that long so I measured it. From the bolt face to the end of the barrel it is 23 3/4 inches long. I thought it must have been cut down at some time before my friend and I got it. I then noticed an advert for a PH1200TX from a dealer in the North East that has a 23 1/2 inch barrel and recessed crown. So, I am beginning to wonder if mine has been cut down or was made that way. It has a 14 inch twist. The serial number is S-12824. I am thinking of putting a scope on it and have the PH sight blocks. I would need the PH rings and a scope, but that is for another day if I go down that route. So, does anyone know if PH made any 1200TXs with shorter barrels than standard or are mine and the advertised one gunsmith cut downs?
A few pics.
Parker Hale 1200TX full.jpg
Parker Hale 1200TX front sight.jpg
Parker Hale 1200TX muzzle.jpg
Regards
Peter.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

Re: Parker Hale 1200TX

#2 Post by Dellboy »

The guys that will know are Norman Clark they also have the blocks and probably the rings to suit
Very helpful

https://www.normanclarkgunsmith.com/parker-hale
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Graham M

#3 Post by Graham M »

We had one of these in the club and used to enjoy shooting it out to 600yds. It was taken out for a day at a range some 6 years ago and when it came back it was put away in the club gun cabinet. It had been raining on the day and the lad who used it had put it back in the cabinet without cleaning it, oiling it or even wiping the frikkin' water off it.
When it was taken out for cleaning and oiling with all the other rifles (which a couple of us at the club used to do every 6 months) it was found that the last 8-9 inches of barrel were so badly corroded as to make the rifle scrap.
No amount of recrimination could make the lad hand over the cash to re-barrel or replace the thing though, and in the end he left the club and went elsewhere. Didn't get a reference from us though. Barsteward.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by Pete »

We had one of these when we started shooting in 2007........cracking rifle. Spanish Mauser action, Brindles trigger, and a nice walnut stock.
Ours had a 26" barrel and we had some good cards out to 1000yds with it using 7.62 milsurp.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....