Advice please.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Advice please.

#21 Post by Pippin89 »

I agree that getting involved in litigation is a step too far at this stage, but you do still have a responsibility to know the whereabouts of a firearm in your name. Personally I would send a "signed-for" letter so you know he's got it, saying you are concerned for the whereabouts of your firearm and if you haven't heard from him with 7 days of the date of the letter, you will have to contact your FEO according to the terms of your FAC to report it lost. That way you are not threatening legal action, merely following the terms of your FAC, but giving enough of a shove up the back side to get in contact. People get busy and we all appreciate that, but the better part of a year is a long time to have a gun without any pretty serious explanation as to why it is taking so long.
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#22 Post by Lever357 »

You say you have not actually been to the premises - how did you get the firearm to the gunsmith in the first place??
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Rockhopper

#23 Post by Rockhopper »

When you say there is a record of him receiving it presumably you sent it by courier and you got notification that it’d been delivered? With the number of parcels that get miss delivered are you sure someone else didn’t sign for it and it’s never actually got to your gunsmith? He’s not now responding to you because he has no idea what you are on about as he’s never seen your gun?
When is your FAC up for renewal? You might have an awkward conversation with your FEO about a gun that’s on your ticket but you cannot produce or even show a receipt to say it’s with an RFD.
I think you need to escalate this and do it rather quickly.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#24 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
You are getting sound advice, and should be making moves to follow it asap.
David TS
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

#25 Post by David TS »

What county is the gunsmith in? Presumably not Essex, as you are, as you would have delivered it? Revealing that vague information can't infringe forum rules, surely, and then probably someone in the county he is in will be able to help you.
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#26 Post by bnz41 »

Good Morning everyone,

Finally an update for you regarding our firearms. Well the items concerned were two section 7.3 hand guns, that we arranged with a section 5 gunsmith to repair one deactivate another this was in November 22. He collected them from Bisley then nothing no contact only from us which he ignored. So last month we asked the NRA for advice, they suggested sending him a registered letter stating he had one calendar month to return them to Bisley or we would call the police. He returned the firearms with 2 days left of that month. He did apologise. They are now with another gun smith as of yesterday.
Im not going to name the original gun smith or the one now doing the work so please dont ask.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#27 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Its a shame about non-disclosure we need to rid our sport of these atrocious so called gun smiths.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#28 Post by Dark Skies »

Mauserbill wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:52 am Hello
Its a shame about non-disclosure we need to rid our sport of these atrocious so called gun smiths.
I agree. Otherwise, as it is, somebody else is likely to end up in the same boat.
Dragging it out until the eleventh hour and then "apologizing" sounds more like an arse-covering / p*** take to me.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
bnz41

#29 Post by bnz41 »

Unless you have section 7.3 hand guns your unlikely to need his services or lack of them, as he only works on those type of firearms or not in our case.

Dark Skies message sent.
Pete

#30 Post by Pete »

I don't think it's a good idea to ID anyone likely to legally hold section 7.3 stuff, on a forum like this, irrespective of whether or not you need their services.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....