More records

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Richo
Home club or Range: Sedbergh shooting club

Re: More records

#11 Post by Richo »

Yes i can, it was Cumbria Constabulary, as i said it was at my previous renewal time and by a licencing officer (now retired) who called round for the usual checks before it was granted.
I think this had something to do with a Mr Bird running amock shooting innocent people around the Sellafield area of Cumbria a few years ago if you recall, or an over enthusiastic individual making it up as they went along, also the "shoot it or lose it" phrase was being brandished around at the time.
I have since had a further renewal by another licensing office and nothing was mentioned at that time, only that they were happy with my records ie shooting log and round count that i submitted with my renewal paperwork and i currently find Cumbria licensing dept very helpful these days if not a bit slow but i think thats a national problem now.
I mentioned this at my club at the time but nobody else said they'd had a similar request, i do think it was down to me not buying ammunition from shops/dealers and getting it recorded on my licence, but theres plenty of people who reload and dont buy much factory and that shouldn't make any difference.

#12 Post by 1066 »

The only centrefire ammunition I have bought in the last, maybe 40 years, is a box of 20 x .243's and a couple of hundred military 5.56's. Everything else I have always loaded for.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#13 Post by channel12 »

There is a difference from what a FEO would like to do and a legal requirement. Therefore unless the FEO puts the requirement in writing citing the relevant chapter and verse for recording your reloading just treat it as verbal advice.

As a former enforcement officer (not firearms) I would always follow up an inspection with a letter carefully distinguishing what was a legal requirement citing the regulation and section, what was an ACOP and what was good practice.

Having said that, I do keep a record of what I've reloaded for my reference especially when trying to work up a load with a different powder/charge weight or bullet.
Mattnall
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#14 Post by Mattnall »

IainWR wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:27 pm
Mike95 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:10 am I am now reading that
Can you tell me where?
Somebody started a thread about writing reloads on FAC on an airgun site, saying a mate has been told to do this.
He was down on the south coast somewhere but I have no idea where the mate was from.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Richo
Home club or Range: Sedbergh shooting club

#15 Post by Richo »

I will mention this again at the club nust to see if anybody else has come across this since, most likely an over Zealous licensing office ( jobs worth) trying it on, wether this came on down from above to see what the response was i dont know, but it could end up being one for the future!!
I refused to do it at the time and it was not pursued by the firearms dept so that makes me think it was an over enthusiastic civilian licensing officer.
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#16 Post by Pete »

More "Chinese whispers"......you guys should get out shooting more...

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Blackstuff

#17 Post by Blackstuff »

I was 'advised' by an FEO to get primers written on my FAC when I bought them as a way of recording my home loads....
DVC

#18 Post by 1066 »

Blackstuff wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:34 am I was 'advised' by an FEO to get primers written on my FAC when I bought them as a way of recording my home loads....
Another case of "make it up as you go along". All the combined shooting associations ( and clubs for that matter) should be donating a pound or two, every year, for each member, to a Shooters rights fund. With an income of a couple of million quid a year, maybe a court case or two could nip these ideas in the bud.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com

#19 Post by 1066 »

TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com