Selling ammunition procedure

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Selling ammunition procedure

#11 Post by Pippin89 »

IainWR wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:29 pm
Pippin89 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:36 am Just to complete this, a local FEO told our club recently
Are you able to divulge which force and / or which FEO?
Sussex Police. I don't think I want to give the individuals name to be honest.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Blackstuff »

Pippin89 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:36 am Just to complete this, a local FEO told our club recently that FAC holders are not allowed to sell ammunition to other FAC holders. I have not heard this before or since. However, as someone else said, you might want to put "given" rather than "sold" just to be safe.
Was this ANY ammo, or could they have meant handloads?
DVC
Pippin89

#13 Post by Pippin89 »

Blackstuff wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:19 am
Pippin89 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:36 am Just to complete this, a local FEO told our club recently that FAC holders are not allowed to sell ammunition to other FAC holders. I have not heard this before or since. However, as someone else said, you might want to put "given" rather than "sold" just to be safe.
Was this ANY ammo, or could they have meant handloads?
No they definitely meant all ammo. All of us in the club were stunned by the response as people have been doing this for years. Its freely advertised on here and others and never a question asked. But if it is given rather than sold, it covers that base anyway.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#14 Post by Mattnall »

FAC holders cannot sell ammunition by way of trade or business (FA1968s3(1)(a)).
If it was just passing on a few unwanted boxes I believe there is no law or rule against it. Just don't do it too regularly so it becomes a trade or business.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Pippin89

#15 Post by Pippin89 »

Mattnall wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:15 am
FAC holders cannot sell ammunition by way of trade or business (FA1968s3(1)(a)).
If it was just passing on a few unwanted boxes I believe there is no law or rule against it. Just don't do it too regularly so it becomes a trade or business.
This makes sense, but definitely not what the FEO was getting at. But that does seem like a logical place for them to get confused... Thanks for that.
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

#16 Post by billgatese30 »

I've bought and sold plenty of (factory) ammo from other FAC holders. On the FAC I/they always filled in the sellers FAC cert number where the RFD number would go. Its never been commented on by Northumbria or Durham at renewal time, or when a replacement cert has been issued. So long as its not as a business, then that is OK. If I was bulk buying 10k rounds from Henry Krank, then selling them in 100's for a profit then that might be a different story as I would need to trade as an RFD.
Chris
Graham M

#17 Post by Graham M »

We have a chap who buys 12,000 rds of match ammo for the club and then sells it to the members for the cost of what he bought it for. This is the best way of ensuring that we can get it slightly cheaper by buying bulk.
These FEO's are making it up as they go along and need to be reigned in by those who are supposed to look after us.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MistAgain

#18 Post by MistAgain »

Graham M wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:52 pm We have a chap who buys 12,000 rds of match ammo for the club and then sells it to the members for the cost of what he bought it for. This is the best way of ensuring that we can get it slightly cheaper by buying bulk.
These FEO's are making it up as they go along and need to be reigned in by those who are supposed to look after us.
In this case I dont think he was making it up .
If you buy to sell , you are a business , you dont have to make a profit , you can sell at a loss .
So he is a trader .

Trading in ammunition requires the trader to be an RFD .

All your chap is doing is hastening the local RFD's to cease trading .
Graham M

#19 Post by Graham M »

MistAgain wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:42 am
Graham M wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:52 pm We have a chap who buys 12,000 rds of match ammo for the club and then sells it to the members for the cost of what he bought it for. This is the best way of ensuring that we can get it slightly cheaper by buying bulk.

All your chap is doing is hastening the local RFD's to cease trading .
Absolutely not!!!
He buys from Eley who give us a good deal and passes the savings on to the club. Why on earth would we choose to pay more from a dealer????
If you had the chance to buy your utility supplies cheaper by paying by direct debit, would you then choose to use a pre-payment card and pay 10% more any????
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#20 Post by Pete »

As long as the seller has authority to possess the ammo that he/she is selling, and it can be seen to have been entered on their FAC (or the clubs FAC) when purchased, then I can't see why they can't sell any on to qualified buyers.
I'm sure it happens all the time in small-bore clubs. I don't think it puts many RFD's out of business.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....