Selling ammunition procedure

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Deadeye18

Selling ammunition procedure

#1 Post by Deadeye18 »

Hello all. What is the procedure for selling rifle ammunition privately? I'm about to sell a rifle and will need to move the left over ammunition on but never done either before. I know you fill in the other chaps certificate in and inform the police who you sold the rifle to so I'm guessing the ammo is entered onto the other chaps certificate same as when buying from a shop but do you tell the police you've sold it?
20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Selling ammunition procedure

#2 Post by 20series »

Deadeye18 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:08 am Hello all. What is the procedure for selling rifle ammunition privately? I'm about to sell a rifle and will need to move the left over ammunition on but never done either before. I know you fill in the other chaps certificate in and inform the police who you sold the rifle to so I'm guessing the ammo is entered onto the other chaps certificate same as when buying from a shop but do you tell the police you've sold it?
I would put it down as given rather than sold, but yes just fill in the appropriate boxes

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Incom
Home club or Range: Wellington Rifle & Pistol Club

#3 Post by Incom »

I just bought a Lee Enfield from a friend, and that's just what we did with the handful of 303 rounds he had left. He just entered the ammo on my ticket.
Deadeye18

#4 Post by Deadeye18 »

So put it on his ticket and no need to tell the police then, that's easy enough thanks chaps.
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

#5 Post by billgatese30 »

No need to inform the police over ammunition. You do need to inform them about a firearm transfer (including moderarors regardless if sold alone or along with the firearm).
Chris
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

Just for clarity it is factory ammunition we are talking about here.

Handloaded ammunition should never be sold to anyone!

In as also not good practice to give away handloaded ammunition.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Deadeye18

#7 Post by Deadeye18 »

Hello Dromia, yes it's factory ammunition. I know home loaded can be dodgy as a friend of mine had a near miss trying someone else's ammo that happened to be a squib load but luckily noticed before he fired the next round.
rox

#8 Post by rox »

Step 1: Check the buyer's certificate to ensure he has authority to acquire/posses the type and quantity of ammunition that you intend to transfer.

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#9 Post by Pippin89 »

Just to complete this, a local FEO told our club recently that FAC holders are not allowed to sell ammunition to other FAC holders. I have not heard this before or since. However, as someone else said, you might want to put "given" rather than "sold" just to be safe.
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#10 Post by IainWR »

Pippin89 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:36 am Just to complete this, a local FEO told our club recently
Are you able to divulge which force and / or which FEO?