Ammunition confirmation

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Richo
Home club or Range: Sedbergh shooting club

Ammunition confirmation

#1 Post by Richo »

Could the experts out there confirm what i believe this 7.62x51 ammo is (ref photo).
I believe it to be South African NATO Ball, 140 rounds in a sealed plastic type bag, i cant open it without buying it first (the seller doesn't want the seal breaking) so can't id the boxes.
I would just like to know if anybidy can tell me how old and if its any good, brass or steel cases, berden or boxer primed but more importantly has non corrosive primers!!
Any input would be appreciated
Attachments
20230710_203244.jpg
DanTheMan
Home club or Range: Weybridge

Re: Ammunition confirmation

#2 Post by DanTheMan »

Shot loads of that stuff, it's all good, brass, non corrosive, probably 1980's era (headstamp will confirm) but the best bit it's just cheap milsurp so enjoy !
Richo
Home club or Range: Sedbergh shooting club

#3 Post by Richo »

Hi Dan
Thanks for the info just what j wanted to know, as a matter of interest you say cheap milsurp, whats the going rate or is it no longer available for sale !!
DanTheMan
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#4 Post by DanTheMan »

It's the sort of stuff that dealers get in odd batches, usually half the price of target ammo. The going rate is now whatever you are willing to pay but as a ballpark GGG milsurp is approx £90 per 100 at the moment.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#5 Post by channel12 »

As Dan has said it is 1980's South African and is probably head stamped PMP for Pretoria Metal Pressing. It is good stuff and I shot a lot of it in the past.

Interesting story about it, that ammo became surplus when the South African Defence Forces changed from their 7.62 R1 rifle (FAL) to a 5.56 R4 rifle (Galil copy). The ANC government of Mandela prohibited the sale of surplus ammo to arms dealers on moral grounds because of fuelling armed conflicts around the world. There was a bit of a scandal when it was discovered that a corrupt government Minister had made himself a tidy sum selling it off on the side.
Graham M

#6 Post by Graham M »

What!!! a member of the ANC was corrupt.......well I never. teanews
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.