Gunsmith for clip slots

Had a good experience with a gun shop or rifle maker? Found a good deal? Tell us about it. Had a bad experience, TELL THE GUN SHOP!

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Posting of negative comments in the Gunshop section could bring unwanted criticism on the forum, having said that it is important to let members know if dealings with a Gunshop were less than ideal for you. To that end we will allow what will be known as the 'Scotsgun Ruling'

The Scotsgun Ruling:

>Add Gun Shop here<

"As I've yet to have a 'positive' experience there, I'll refrain from commenting further."

Beyond that please take it up with the Gunshop, if you do resolve the issue in a agreeable manner let us know!

This rule applies to the entire forum.
rufrdr

Re: Gunsmith for clip slots

#11 Post by rufrdr »

There was and may still be a company that made aluminum add-on clip slots for Winchester 70 and Remington 700 actions that used the existing pre-tapped screw holes for scope mounts to fix the clip slot adapter in place. Do an internet search of the companies that specialize in accessories for centerfire match shooting. I bought mine back in the 80s which doesn't seem that long ago but I guess it really is!

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
James84

Re: Gunsmith for clip slots

#12 Post by James84 »

Thanks for the heads up. I needed them cut for a scope mount and not specially for clips.

I contacted 3 well known and recommended gunsmith/rifle smiths about this and 2 said no they wouldn't attempt it and one other asked me to send over all the details and never responded to me.

I ended up buying a micro mill off Ebay for £200 and just cutting it myself and then sending it for proof. The mill has proven to be an excellent investment as I have since used it to inlet two stocks as well as inlet bottom metal for a friend.

Here's the info I went with and I found an excellent video online of someone doing it on a similar mill:

https://www.m14forum.com/threads/m40-vs ... st-4512328