Lee 30 M1 carbine powder through expanding die

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
drone

Re: Lee 30 M1 carbine powder through expanding die

#11 Post by drone »

Dromia posted:-
"However the best route is to buy "M" die expander plugs to suit your bullet, first step should be 2 thou under bullet diameter, second step should be 2 though over diameter, the other main benefit of the "M" style expander is that it creates a step for the bullet to sit on thus ensuring it is seated square to the case and concentric to the bore."
And
"It should be obvious with a modicum of imagination and intelligence to see that forcing a soft lead bullet into a tapered neck will give a taper to the base of the bullet with all the attendant tragedies that will bring."

When the boolit is seated doesn't being forced through a step damage the base of the boolit as per your comments?
drone

#12 Post by drone »

Reverting to the OP, I've had a reply from Lee Precision, confirming that the 30 M1 expander and powder through die will pull the stunt on a 30/30 case.
FWIW, I have a Lee universal expander and also a lyman M die, I don't use either any more, the lee expander powder through die does it better on 357 and 38 sp and hopefully when HK sends me the 30 m1 die it'll do good on the 30/30
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#13 Post by bradaz11 »

how is a bottleneck case going to fit in a straightwalled die?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Alpha1

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

drone wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:22 am Reverting to the OP, I've had a reply from Lee Precision, confirming that the 30 M1 expander and powder through die will pull the stunt on a 30/30 case.
FWIW, I have a Lee universal expander and also a lyman M die, I don't use either any more, the lee expander powder through die does it better on 357 and 38 sp and hopefully when HK sends me the 30 m1 die it'll do good on the 30/30
What does pull the stunt on a 30/30 case mean.
What does FWIW mean.
Who is HK.
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#15 Post by bradaz11 »

Alpha1 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:31 pm
drone wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:22 am Reverting to the OP, I've had a reply from Lee Precision, confirming that the 30 M1 expander and powder through die will pull the stunt on a 30/30 case.
What does FWIW mean.
Who is HK.
work / function with
for what it's worth
henry krank
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
drone

#16 Post by drone »

Bradaz, the powder through/expander die is quite short, the long neck of the 30/30 goes far enough in for the expander tube to enter it and commence its process and includes dropping the powder when it's at the zenith of its upstroke. The depth of the expansion isn't that important, it's apparently adequate to start the boolit on its journey without risking spatulate finger tips, if you get my drift.
FWIW I find I can adequately neck size 30/30 cases FOR MY RIFLE using a 308 win Lee collet neck size die. They cycle fine.
BTW 10/10 for interpreting my shorthand!
To the pedantic police about, I tested my system before adopting it. I then quit using it as I found I could set the 30/30 full length resizing die to resize the neck only if I took my time about setting the depth the case entered the die and frequently checked the progress of the mark the die made up the neck of the case stopping adjustment when I estimated that the case neck was sized up to within a thou or two of the start of the shoulder, if you get my drift.
As a matter of interest I found that the case stretched almost 25 thou upon firing following FL resizing resulting in massive reworking of the brass to fully resize which, in my infinite wisdom, I deemed undesirable.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#17 Post by dromia »

drone wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:14 am When the boolit is seated doesn't being forced through a step damage the base of the boolit as per your comments?
Not at all so long as you get your measurements right.

As a rule of thumb step two diameter should be 2 thou under bullet diameter this hardly constricts the bullet but is usually enough to give good bullet retention, it is only 1 thou each side.

Also if there is squeezing the die being parallel sided means pressure on the bullet is even across its grip.

If a tapered expander is used then you will get a tapered base that will not have a uniform diameter across its shank thus leading to potential gas cutting, leading and inaccuracy.

If you have problems visualizing this then try both and see what works for you, you may be luck with the bullet. However an "M" style cut to the correct dimensions for your bullet remove the risk of taper deformation to your bullets shank.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1

#18 Post by Alpha1 »

bradaz11 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:13 am
Alpha1 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:31 pm
What does FWIW mean.
Who is HK.
work / function with
for what it's worth
henry krank
Thank you.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#19 Post by dromia »

Just in case you are still struggling in understanding this.

A tapered expander just expands the area around the lip of the case, if your case is say 3 or 4 thou under bullet diameter all the taper die will do is allow you to start the bullet in the case which will then be sized down by the area of the case case which has not been expanded.

The "M" style die being parallel sided is set to expand the whole of the case to the depth that the bullet is being seated so that the whole interface of bullet and case that 2 thou under bullet diameter.

A taper die cannot do this.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

dromia
Site Admin

#20 Post by dromia »

Pedantry is not misplaced when it comes to hand loading.

Considering the fact that every time we fire a rifle we are putting a pipe bomb off next to our face we cannot be too careful.

Especially with the spurious and dangerous myths and shite on the subject bandied about without any responsibility on this damned internet.

Knowing what you are talking about rather than people talking about what they think they know is crucial to safety in the activity, call pulling up in-exactitude pedantry if you will but ignore at your peril and worse still the peril of any innocents that may be shooting alongside you.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!