Priming brass

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Jimminy234

Priming brass

#1 Post by Jimminy234 »

I bought a Lyman kit when I started reloading and it came with their hand primer. I’m finding it does not work very well and my press has no option for priming. What hand primers or bench primers do people recommend?
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Priming brass

#2 Post by Pete »

"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by Pete »

Or better still, this one:

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/le ... ench-prime

It's exactly the same, but without the unnecessary metal plate underneath and a few quid cheaper.......

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

RCBS auto hand priming tool no shell holders required it works with all calibers large or small primers.
https://www.mcavoyguns.co.uk/contents/e ... tools.html

I have the RCBS jobby and the Lee one I much prefer the RCBS.

The RCBS is well worth the extra money.
Blackstuff

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

I have the Lee hand primer but would not recommend it if you're using small primers. They often drop into the loading gate sideways or even in reverse so you spend half the time flicking them around the right way with a screwdriver/pin
DVC
20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#6 Post by 20series »

;)
Blackstuff wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:26 am I have the Lee hand primer but would not recommend it if you're using small primers. They often drop into the loading gate sideways or even in reverse so you spend half the time flicking them around the right way with a screwdriver/pin
Yep same problem here wallhead
Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Graham M

#7 Post by Graham M »

The Lee I had was made from cheap soft aluminium and wore out in no time. I do all mine now on a partner press set up next to the bigger "O" press.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
PeterN

#8 Post by PeterN »

I have been using an old RCBS Posi-prime hand primer. More recently, I have been using a Wamadet Primaline hand press and a Prime Reloading ram prime die. I still use the RCBS Posi-prime for priming .310 Cadet cases but use the others for priming large rifle primers, both Boxer and Berdan. The ram prime die works well and I mostly use that.
Prime Reloading ram prime die.jpg
Prime Reloading ram prime die components.jpg
Prime Reloading ram prime die instructions.jpg
Regards
Peter.