Safe Drill Depth M98

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Safe Drill Depth M98

#1 Post by Pippin89 »

Hi All
I am going to drill and tap a single hole for a scope rail (it already has 2 in the rear, just want 1 in the front) on my Mauser. What is a safe depth to drill when going into the barrel thread? It is a cheap gun and once the barrel is shot out it will become scrap, so not worried about not being able to get the barrel off again.
I have seen people say elsewhere, that you should drill until you feel it reach the threads and stop there. But not sure how deep that is, and as I will be using a large industrial mill, I won't feel it either.
Pippin89

Re: Safe Drill Depth M98

#2 Post by Pippin89 »

From the receiver diameter (1.4") and the barrel thread diameter (1.1") it seems I have about 0.15" or 3.8mm. Does that seem about right?
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#3 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
I have a K98 scrap action, you can have it F.O.C you can practise on it or just take the measurements, its heavy so £5.95 Royal Mail 24Hrs secure postage should do it.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#4 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
I looked high and Low as I could not remember dumping it, and finally found it. Yours if you want it.
Attachments
P1020835.JPG
P1020836.JPG
P1020837.JPG
Graham M

#5 Post by Graham M »

Will it matter if you go through into the barrel threads as it's not going to be used after you scrap it. You could easily drill to a depth of 5mm and then tap. 3.8mm doesn't seem a lot of thread to hold a scope mount if you are tapping into a blind hole.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Pippin89

#6 Post by Pippin89 »

Mauserbill wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:33 pm Hello
I have a K98 scrap action, you can have it F.O.C you can practise on it or just take the measurements, its heavy so £5.95 Royal Mail 24Hrs secure postage should do it.
Thank you very much for the offer but I don't think it will be necessary.
Graham M wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:17 pm Will it matter if you go through into the barrel threads as it's not going to be used after you scrap it. You could easily drill to a depth of 5mm and then tap. 3.8mm doesn't seem a lot of thread to hold a scope mount if you are tapping into a blind hole.
I had come to the same conclusion. The screws provided with the scope rail sit about 4mm proud below the rail so should work out ok. As it is only a 7.62x51 I'm not too concerned about loading. Should be plenty strong enough.

Thanks all.