My game gun,65 years old and aging beautifully.

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

drone

My game gun,65 years old and aging beautifully.

#1 Post by drone »

darne wood.jpg
darne wood 2.jpg
darne action.jpg
darne action.jpg
darne wood 2.jpg

I bought this gun from the gent who had it built, it was made with a shorter pull as befits a gun that spent much of its time out in the winter polishing the right shoulder of a barbour waxed jacket.
I think it's true to say that at the time he needed cash pdq and I didn't pay a lot for it. I bought it because it's extremely light in weight, just over 6 pounds iirc and I took it out on many wildfowling forays on the wash and points north as a companion to my Tolley when the sling became extremely useful, it's also true to say I shot many more birds with it on the average day than I shot in a month with the Tolley.
When the steel shot saga emerged I emailed Fusils Darne about the suitability of using steel shot in it, the answer was positive. I have yet to shoot any steel shot down the tubes.
Alas Darne appears to be no more, but the price list back about 6 or 7 years listed the gun, a V-19 model, at 18000 euros, I was totally gobsmacked as I'd not really treated it that well.
Both barrels were improved cylinder, with the left being slightly more improved than the right with 5 points of choke or thereabouts. This didn't seem to restrict it in any way and it could always pull off quite long shots.
I don't think I've been out with it more than a handful of times in the last 10 years which is sad really.
In the late 80s or early 90s I took it to Greenfields in Canterbury to have the chequering refreshed and the oil finish buffed up and generally serviced, £75worth iirc.
Hopefully, one of my sons or grandson will get to enjoy it before it morphs into an assault gun.
drone

Re: My game gun,65 years old and aging beautifully.

#2 Post by drone »

dane proof.jpg
darne bits.jpg
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

Nice looking piece and interesting looking action, never seen one open like that before
DVC
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

I love they Darne, they also made machine guns.

I acquired my current example from a certain SimG of this parish.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

#5 Post by billgatese30 »

Fascinating action. Never seen one like that before.
Chris
Graham M

#6 Post by Graham M »

They had a write up in one of the shooting magazines a few years ago about one of these. Can't remember if it was done to get around a patent.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#7 Post by meles meles »

We have one of these too, and it's definitely a novelty that attracts attention either in the field or at the clay ground. The action was based upon Whitworth's sliding breech mechanism used on pre-dreadnaught battelship guns.

The only snag is that one can't immediately discern that the gun is safe as, even when empty, the barrels don't break. We're often (politely) asked at the clay ground to carry it with the barrels broken open to show it is safe, and there then ensues a long conversation as we explain how it works and the enquirer has a go or two with it....
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

Does it eject the cases when you open it/they're held in the breach closed position while the action opens so they just bobble off the sides, or is it manual extraction?
DVC
drone

#9 Post by drone »

darne breech face.jpg

Here's an image of the breech block faces, the two "ejector" pins are clearly visible. I can never recall having an issue with the process of dumping used cases, similarly I can't remember how it does it.
I, to paraphrase Oddball in Kelly's Heroes, merely shoot the thing.
Graham M

#10 Post by Graham M »

Oh, man. I only ride them, I don't know what makes them work. kukkuk
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.