Cleaning Brass.

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Re: Cleaning Brass.

#11 Post by mag41uk »

Cleaning primer pockets wont cause them to wear out. As long as your technique isnt "bull in a china shop" standard they will be fine.
You need to be cleaning the residue so you achieve correct primer seating depth.
Primers shouldnt be sitting proud which they can be if the bottom of the pocket is coked up.
Martiniman
Home club or Range: VAA

#12 Post by Martiniman »

New boy here - am hoping dry tumbler will buff up the 577/450 BP staining. Anyone here use something instead on BP cartridges? Ty
Vossie
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Bisley

#13 Post by Vossie »

As Dromia says, I wet tumble my BP cases, bit of vinegar and fairy liquid. Does the job well.
YattonShooter
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#14 Post by YattonShooter »

I used to use Birchwood Casey brass cleaner and then put my brass in a string bag in the tumble drier.
Apart from the noise and getting a telling off from my Wife, it was a good method of cleaning brass.
I say was as I don’t reload much anymore.
SJHUK53
Home club or Range: Roding Rifle & Pistol Club

#15 Post by SJHUK53 »

Hi....I de-prime my cases, chamfer & deburr the necks then put them in a stainless steel pin tumbler. The cases come out spotlessly clean inside & out, including the primer pockets. I then resize, prime & load. It's a personal choice but I like to inspect them to ensure that the cases are fit for use & clean to put them through the dies...plus I really love shiny brass! Some folk say it's a lot of faff & maybe it is for them but I personally find the reloading process very therapeutic....just my half pennies worth!