stripping 1911

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: stripping 1911

#11 Post by bradaz11 »

Steve12345 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:40 pm

Ah I remember reading about that, might even have been on this forum, can't remember. So the no same day bookings was in reaction to that incident then?
yeah, unfortunately. He evidently thought it would be a clean way out. just so you know, it's not. I think he lasted a few days after a ride in the air ambulance.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Steve12345

#12 Post by Steve12345 »

oh, I didn't know that. Not that I had really thought about it but I assumed it would have been quick.

I have been trying to get hold of an original magazine from WW1 but not having much luck at the moment, the one I currently have is just a cheap newer one.
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#13 Post by bnz41 »

Hi Steve,

How you keeping good I hope. For an original mag try here MJLmilitaria not cheap that age of mag won't be.

Stripping the .45acp Colt 1911 on older models is fairly easy, harder on newer guns like mine they have better fitting barrel bushing. As others have said youtube is your friend hickock45 will be your best bet.

Good luck Neil
Steve12345

#14 Post by Steve12345 »

Hi Neil,

I'm good thank you, how you doing? Thanks for the recommendation, I will take a look. I do have a quick look on google every now and then just to see what's around but haven't really found one yet. I have also been debating whether to try and get some of the rust off. There is lots of great advice on how to but still worried I will damage the bluing, I feel like there is more rust since it has been in the safe.

Cheers

Steve
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#15 Post by bnz41 »

I'm good thank you Steve. Do you oil the pistol before its put in the safe?

Our pistols while stored at Bisley once cleaned after using they get a good quality spray of gun oil before being boxed up again. Rust can be difficult to treat depending on where it is, re bluing is something I have done you can buy cold bluing kits.

D&B has an old 1911 mag listed but its got a light coating of rust would soon clean up but its £45
Steve12345

#16 Post by Steve12345 »

bnz41 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:09 am I'm good thank you Steve. Do you oil the pistol before its put in the safe?

Our pistols while stored at Bisley once cleaned after using they get a good quality spray of gun oil before being boxed up again. Rust can be difficult to treat depending on where it is, re bluing is something I have done you can buy cold bluing kits.

D&B has an old 1911 mag listed but its got a light coating of rust would soon clean up but its £45

I've only oiled it the once, just a very light coat before I put it in the safe. No idea when it was last cleaned inside, depends if NaBIS did it, if not probably not since the 80s!

Thanks for the link but its the mag with a lanyard loop at the bottom, pretty sure that's what it had originally. I would put a picture but can't work out how!
MistAgain

#17 Post by MistAgain »

If you have a 1911 Colt the chances are it may have been issued with a lanyard ring or loop on the mag base . But there are many exceptions.
All 1911's had a lanyard loop om the mainspring housing . As did 1911A1's for government issue . And many commercial 1911's and 1911A1's did .

As for the rust , do a full strip and clean all the internal parts with a good brand of light oil and the finest wire wool you can buy . Clean all the wire wool bits up and lightly oil .
For the expernal rust , again light oil and fine wire wool . better a bare metal surface than having a pitted metal surface.
Early 1911's had a good blue finish , before WW1 ended I believe the finish had gone more black that blue. Parkerised finish wasnt started until late 1930's I think .

There are so many exceptions to info on what was issued and when , the best thing is just to ignore them and enjoy what you have .