Talk to me about guns

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa

Talk to me about guns

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

As some of you know or guessed, I have stepped back from shooting. This is not a permanent thing, just a bit of a sabbatical. Since moving I have already ended up servicing a neighbours rifle which had been used in Greenland and we do talk about maybe making stuff, or repairing stuff again. I have every intention of shooting again and there is a 200m rifle range which is a 3/4 mile walk along the coast path or a 5 minute drive away. Carry on into the village and there is a small bore rifle and full bore pistol club. Towards the middle of the island there is a clay ground, so there are plenty of opportunities.

Right now we are concentrating on putting everything where it should go, and dealing with a new to us, mechanised approach to gardening.

So if you were a new/old shooter like me, what would you start with shooting wise? I have no plans to shoot overland ever again, these days I quite enjoy seeing the Roe wandering through the garden even if they do eat the Blackcurrant bushes.

I have shot at everything from 20 yards to 3/4 mile so it is not as if longer stuff is important to me, it is just the shooting side in general I miss.

One consideration is reloading is not so easy over here apparently.

Thoughts anyone?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

Re: Talk to me about guns

#2 Post by Mattnall »

I find gallery rifle quite relaxing but also scratches that competitive itch.
I seem to be doing more and more small-bore and centre-fire GR events these days and finding them a lot less work than the CSR league or MR events, and the E-League 'postal' comp is good fun too, you could even enter from abroad I guess.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
waterford103
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#3 Post by waterford103 »

If it were possible I would like to resume pistol shooting , at my advanced age and failing health my rifle shooting days are almost over , i believe this will be my last year .
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by 1066 »

I'm finding long range rimfire an interesting challenge. Shooting a .22lr target rifle out to 2,3,400 yards or more is quite addictive.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
shotgun sam

#5 Post by shotgun sam »

My main type of shooting is hunting but also do target shooting (rifles,shotguns and air guns).
Of late I have gone back to where it all started and doing more hunting/plinking with my air guns shooting squirrel,ferals and rats in barns and surrounding agricultural buildings plus plinking in my back garden.
All springers with the oldest being from 1929, I forgot how much of a challenge it was getting close enough to take an ethical shot
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Mauserbill
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Range

#6 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
For me it has to be any Military rifle with wood furniture manufactured before 1950 from any country, the halcyon days of collecting are long gone with some of the ridiculous prices that are being asked now, I feel sorry for anybody starting an interest now, I had the time of my life collecting Enfield's at £100, Mausers at £125 Mosins at £70 and everything in between ranging from £50 to £250 (Then) for anything and everything including some fascinating single shot obsoletes.
I noticed a fellow member is about to pay £500 for a MAS 36, I bought mine in 1998 and paid £50 and it was a beauty. sold it a year later for £80
I am sure that some forum members have interesting tales to tell regarding there prized acquisitions
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#7 Post by 20series »

Bit of bench rest .22?

Personally if I had the opportunity to shoot proper pistols I would

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Polchraine

#8 Post by Polchraine »

When shooting clays - I am not too worried if I score 45, 40, 35 or even 30 from 50, although it is noce to be in te top three. Provided I go home with 2.5kg less in the bag, I am happy.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
walesdave

#9 Post by walesdave »

Rimfire at the range and air guns in the garden.
Normally semi-auto plinking out to 50m but got my first bolt action rimfire a year or two back and have enjoyed pushing out to 100m and planning on going out to 200m when I get my guns back.
Rimfire = less recoil, more pleasant shooting and can easily go through 300-400 rounds in a session without breaking my shoulder or wallet!
And as all things in life, this is what I enjoy, others like .50BMG at ridiculous ranges - and that's just as 'valid' as what I like.
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#10 Post by bnz41 »

Good Afternoon David,

Hope your both well.

Since starting our 7.3 pistol collections with our firearms rules, we have got totally involved with how they work the history etc, even missing some rifle shoots to use the pistols. We know we can't compete or target shoot with them but 10 rounds through that one and 10 through another and compairing them side by side is the interest.

Maybe pistols for you without the rules if your allowed.