French MAS 36

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Richo
Home club or Range: Sedbergh shooting club

French MAS 36

#1 Post by Richo »

Anybody out there who owns or has owned a French MAS 36, i have been offered a nice arsenal rebuilt rifle for £500, looks a bit quirky but i quite like stuff thats different.
My main issue is ammunition, PPU folder is getting rather expensive these days so wondered if anybody bas gone down the reloading route, i shoot a lot of cast bullets in my old military rifles so would probably try that if i were to buy it, I would still need to get my hands on some cases as the current owner doesn't have anything, I see Lee make a die set and i have plenty bullets for my other guns so would just need to slug the bore and size some accordingly.
Any comments or pointers would be appreciated
Ian
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: French MAS 36

#2 Post by dromia »

Moved to the correct forum!

As the substance of your post is about loading for the rifle then it should be obvious that the handloading section is the appropriate forum.

Be aware future mis-posts will be removed.

If in doubt ask.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#3 Post by meles meles »

The MAS has pretty poor ergonomics but can be surprisingly accurate. We use cast lead bullets in ours, and a reduced power load for indoor use. There's a post in the library which discusses 'The Load' - basically umpteen grains of Alliant 2400 which Dromia could probably direct you to, and we also find RS30 powder pretty good for low power loads too
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#4 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Many years ago I had a MAS36, a truly strange thing but it shot well, I had a problem getting the 7.5x54 French brass but I found that you can re size 30/06 just using the 7.5 sizing die and then cutting the elongated neck back to the correct size.

Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

£500 pounds for a used MAS36 wow. I think I paid no more than £150 for mine and it was brand new. If you buy it I could probably let you have some once fired cases. Its a easy round to load for once you have the cases and dies of course. Its a .308 bullet. I have lots of reloading data going back to 2006 but I aint gong to share it on here because it will be removed. I have used jacketed bullets but most of my shooting was/is with cast bullets.

Yes 2006 thats how long I have owned my MAS36. Great fun get one.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

Data will only be removed if the pressure tested source isn't referenced.

You really are having cognitive problems Dave.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Richo

#7 Post by Richo »

Hi
Thanks for all the replies, i dont think £500 is too bad a price in this day and age and its in outstanding arsenal rebuilt condition, i have put my name on it now, just have the variation to wait for been told 8 to 12 weeks, what's going on with the police firearms departments these days.
Regarding Alphas comments well yes i wish i could turn the clock back and buy up everything i would like to own today, i paid £120 for a lovely No4 with ph5c sight and 80rds hxp ammo around that time, i still own it but guess its worth five times that now.
I have the Harris data for 2400 and military loads and was thinking of starting around that area but i also have 5744 and will try that out as well. What weight bullets bid you find best 150 grain or heavier have a few moulds around that weight
I have plenty off 30.06 cases (i own a 1918 03 Springfield) and can get my hands on more cheap cases so way to go I think, and will order some Lee dies so i am ready, no rush by the sounds of it.
Thanks for all the comments
Ian
dave_303

#8 Post by dave_303 »

If you're based in the south east Ammo Zone are still stocking 7.5x54 PPU for £60 per hundred. Shoot and reuse the brass.
PPU loadings aren't great, myself and others have found it doesn't obturate brilliantly, but it's a start.
drone

#9 Post by drone »

I like the MAS 36, I'm selling one on behalf of a friend. Nice, well balanced rifle shortish barrel muzzle blast is higher than I'm used to. I thought £500 was ott, the one I've sold went for under £400 complete with brass and dies.
Richo

#10 Post by Richo »

Hi Drone
Thanks for the response, yes it probably is a bit on the high side, bit too late now as i am picking up this weekend, but it does come with 40 rds of ammo, some used cases an original sling and Lee reloading dies so i cant say ive been robbed.
If i can get my money back when i come to sell it in the future i will be happy, just hope i like shooting it.
Cheers Ian