New barrel time?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

shugie
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

New barrel time?

#1 Post by shugie »

My trusty Swing has a barrel that will shoot nothing but 115gr bullets, which is less than ideal on longer distances. I'm told that I could put a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel on the action, and clearly I could have a new 308 with a twist better suited to heavier bullets. What are the pros and cons of these options?
Careful now/that sort of thing
Dellboy
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

Re: New barrel time?

#2 Post by Dellboy »

cant comment on a swing but have got an AI with both 308 and 6.5 cm thinking i would use 308 most of the time and 6.5cm for 900 plus .
The 6.5cm stays on all the time and is softer to shoot and puts 142g sako range in the bull at 1200
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by Pete »

And bear in mind that a decent trigger may be a thing of the past......that's what prompted me to move my Swing on.
I tried the Centra manufactured version of Robert Chombarts CG Universal and it was rubbish, unlike the Jackson versions that I have on my Tikkas, which are superb, but no longer available.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
shugie

#4 Post by shugie »

The existing trigger seems ok, maybe a bit softer now with Belville washers, but I wouldn't expect the trigger to need replacing, am I missing something here?
The Gun Pimp

#5 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Presumably your Swing is rigged as a Target Rifle with apertures? So if you wish to continue with TR it will have to be a 308. If you go 6.5 Creedmoor it will mean a change of discipline to something using a scope. If that suits you then go 6.5 Creed. but if you enter F Class Open the 6.5 could be outgunned at longer ranges.
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

If you are wanting to carry on shooting your curent TR dicipline the only way forward really is a replacement .308 barrel. If you are thinking of playing with 6.5 Creedmoor you are probably better of investing in a new rifle.
shugie

#7 Post by shugie »

Don't shoot TR, more informal club level F class. New rifle might be an option, but I paid to have a Joe West stock put on the Swing not long ago, if the action is still ok I'd save a lot of money with a new barrel.