Vigilance when transporting firearms

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Individual
Past Supporter

Re: Vigilance when transporting firearms

#11 Post by Individual »

They don't have to follow you home, in many cases they already know where you live. The Guntrader data breach exposed 1000's of FAC holders home addresses.

What a great country we live in. The Police feel they can warn you that you are a likely target for (probably violent) criminals wanting to steal your firearms.. but refuse to let you own a firearm to protect yourself or your other firearms.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#12 Post by Pete »

What 1066 said........I find it difficult to understand why a criminal would want to steal a target rifle of ANY calibre, when they can apparently get hold of hand guns so easily, (or even a Skorpion, if some "meedja" hacks are to be believed....)
Maybe a shottie, though, if the perp is "old school"...

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by 1066 »

Pete wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:01 pm What 1066 said........I find it difficult to understand why a criminal would want to steal a target rifle of ANY calibre, when they can apparently get hold of hand guns so easily, (or even a Skorpion, if some "meedja" hacks are to be believed....)

Pete
If you enjoy a good read, then I can recommend "Operation Abonar"
True story about a major gun reactivation scam in the 1990's involving well over a hundred fully auto Mac-10's and a host of other arms, a high level cover up to on how the Home Secretary (Michael Howard) was duped into letting harden criminal go free, a lot of police politics, etc. It seems a lot of the business of the guns being tested and passed on the "clients" was being carried at stone lodge ranges.

This whole long, involved investigation eventually led to the much harsher deactivation requirements.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Tallguy

#14 Post by Tallguy »

Link please?
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

#15 Post by billgatese30 »

Its available on Amazon. I've just ordered the Kindle version for a little over a fiver.
Chris
MistAgain

#16 Post by MistAgain »

1066 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:20 pm
Pete wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:01 pm What 1066 said........I find it difficult to understand why a criminal would want to steal a target rifle of ANY calibre, when they can apparently get hold of hand guns so easily, (or even a Skorpion, if some "meedja" hacks are to be believed....)

Pete
If you enjoy a good read, then I can recommend "Operation Abonar"
True story about a major gun reactivation scam in the 1990's involving well over a hundred fully auto Mac-10's and a host of other arms, a high level cover up to on how the Home Secretary (Michael Howard) was duped into letting harden criminal go free, a lot of police politics, etc. It seems a lot of the business of the guns being tested and passed on the "clients" was being carried at stone lodge ranges.

This whole long, involved investigation eventually led to the much harsher deactivation requirements.
I think this was the start of it all ....Operation Ainstable .

Merseyside Police get off with very little criticism .
Site Supporter Since 2015

#17 Post by 1066 »

Yes, Ainstable was the start and it certainly showed up how the whole system was duped, prison service, police, customs, justice system and politicians all with egg on their face - and all played down to save face.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/nov ... se-bennett
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
crismaqsood
Home club or Range: NRA

#18 Post by crismaqsood »

That's quite scary... I do have an alarm at the house and cameras installed, plus the safes are concealed (and with no access to them unless you know the secret 😆

But I've never reflected on how easy it is to track someone nowadays.

I'll definitely be more weary of my surroundings from now on
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#19 Post by Pippin89 »

It always baffles me when you see people with "GUN" or something similar on their numberplate. If you're a crim and wanted to steal a gun, that would be a pretty sure target.
Ginger

#20 Post by Ginger »

Pippin89 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:23 am It always baffles me when you see people with "GUN" or something similar on their numberplate. If you're a crim and wanted to steal a gun, that would be a pretty sure target.
Okay I apoligise as this is an American example of what car / bumper stickers say about you:
Bumper Stickers.jpg