Howa .223 Varmint doesn't shoot straight!

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
John Gunn
Home club or Range: Bisley

Howa .223 Varmint doesn't shoot straight!

#1 Post by John Gunn »

Well that was a surprise for me..
I part exchanged my Southern Guns AR15 for a Howa. Took it to the zero range at Bisley to sight it in. Oh dear.
The factory ammo I had been using in the AR was keyholing at 25yds. FCA with plastic cases 69grn SMK. Worked fine in the AR up to 200yds.
So I tried some 53 grn factory that came with the gun.
Perfect. Same hole.
Only then did I find that as the AR has a barrel twist of 1 in 9 it will handle 69 grn.
I hadn't realised the Howa was 1 in 12 and wouldn't work with anything above 55 grn.
Ho hum... A lot of dismantling to do and full length resizing of my homeloads.....
Never occurred to me the Howa might have a different twist rate. I didn't make any difference when I was reloading for pistols. ;)
20230418_162742.jpg
20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Howa .223 Varmint doesn't shoot straight!

#2 Post by 20series »

Yes sadly not the first time I've read a similar thread. Hopefully it won't spoil your enjoyment too much.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP

#3 Post by 1066 »

That's unlucky - I believe Howa does a 1:9 and more recently a 1:8 in .223.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Daryll
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#4 Post by Daryll »

My shooting buddy had the same experience.. he bought a Remington 700 .223 and the RFD sold him some 69gn ammo.

First time out at 25yds the bullets were keyholing. I checked the markings and found it was 1:12, so bought some 55gn from the club armoured and they worked perfectly.
Surprising how the wrong bullets tumble at even short distances.
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by Pete »

I'm surprised that anyone would actually buy a rifle without checking the twist first...........it only takes a minute with a cleaning rod, patch, ruler, and a bit of cardboard, wire, or a cable tie.
Savage stamp it on their barrels.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Blackstuff

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

With the cost of ammo and the component parts it might not be a bad thing that it prefers the lighter/cheaper stuff!

I've had a 1 in 7 .223 and it would only perform with 69gr and higher which was quite expensive for the high round count type shooting I was doing with it. Saying that if I ever get around to getting another .223 I will likely be going for a 1 in 8 as that gives the best range of bullet weight stabilisation.
DVC
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#7 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Found this item very interesting, as I too did not realize barrel twists and bullet weight effects.

#8 Post by 1066 »

My CZ 527 .223 with a 1:9 shoots the 69gn SMK's very well out to 600yds.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com

#9 Post by 1066 »

Mauserbill wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:29 am Hello
Found this item very interesting, as I too did not realize barrel twists and bullet weight effects.
It depends what you want to do with it - foxing out to 2-300 yds, a 1:12 with a light, fast, flat shooting bullet does the job. Targets out 600 yds or more then faster 1:7-9 barrels and heavier bullets like 69-77gn will be better.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

It is not actually the weight of the bullet that causes the instability but the length, weights are unfortunately used as a proxy for length.

Some heavier bullets can be shot in slower twists depending on their design which keeps their length down.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/