Open sight tuition.

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

1902MLE

Re: Open sight tuition.

#11 Post by 1902MLE »

Thanks for the welcome 20series.
Eyesight is good but not brilliant, probably have more trouble focusing the rear sight I think, it’s a notch type, maybe a peep sight might be better but I’m not sure how good that’d be with close range woodland targets?
Cheers
1902MLE
ukrifleman

#12 Post by ukrifleman »

SDC10926.JPG
Welcome,
Two possible things spring to mind.
Are you getting a good sight picture with or without corrective lenses and second, have you checked the crown for wear?
It is quite possible that the crown is worn, due to years of pull-throughs/cleaning rod usage which will certainly affect accuracy.
I had a M91 Carcano that wouldn't do better than 10" at 100m until I had the muzzle re-crowned and the groups came down to 2.5"
If you need to sharpen up the sight picture then I can recommend Eye-pal, they really help.

#13 Post by 1066 »

They certainly made a peep sight for the MK1. The PH 13 sight was designed to fit existing mounting holes so, if you could locate one, it should be an easy fit. If you remove the rear aperture completely and just use the remaining hole you would have, in effect a "battle" sight, giving quick and accurate acquisition with the bonus of a much longer sight radius.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
1902MLE

#14 Post by 1902MLE »

Ok😁,
So the hunt begins, a PH13 is what I need then that’s what I’ll look for, any advice on where I might find one please 🙏
The crown is in excellent condition, I actually think this rifle although all original was maybe issued and used somewhere it was maybe more ceremonial and that it has never been used on a range for long strings of shots.
I was advised to try a loaded round into the crown to see how far it entered, it managed approx 1/3 of the bullet.

#15 Post by 1066 »

I think the PH 5a will also fit - for the cost of the sight (if you can find one) you could probably buy a more suitable stalking rifle complete.

Here's a bit of light reading, including information about zeroing windage with the front sight.
https://www.artiozen.com/post/lee-enfie ... all-models
https://www.milsurps.com/enfield.php?pg=ti14.htm
https://rifleman.org.uk/PH_Service_sights.html
https://lee-enfield.org/useful-links/69 ... -of-rifles
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#16 Post by GeeRam »

1066 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:07 pm I think the PH 5a will also fit - for the cost of the sight (if you can find one) you could probably buy a more suitable stalking rifle complete.
Would seem the logical route.
A 1902MLE seems a bemusing and somewhat odd choice for such a task, especially for someone not used to old milsurp battle rifles.
The question of suitable ammo in such an old 303 for such a task is also to be considered beforehand surely, given the known problems with 303 bullets in old barrels.
1902MLE

#17 Post by 1902MLE »

I already have amongst others 5 stalking rifles ranging from .222 up to .270 but wanted something with open sights for very close woodland stalking so chose the Lee dEnfield.
I have factory loaded softpoints from PPU, Remington, S&B and Winchester ranging from 150-215g in weight so ammo is not a problem,I’ve even got copper bullets ordered for reloading.
The barrel has been bore scoped and is in excellent condition, no fire cracking, crown is good and rifling very clean.
I think I need someone with experience of open sights to shoot it just to confirm my suspicion that it’s me that’s the issue, 1/2” groups at 100yds is the norm with my stalking rifles but they are all scoped.
Cheers
1902MLE
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#18 Post by dromia »

Then you want Lee Speed, an Enfield made for the job. I have one and it has taken many deer Roe to Red.

My scoped go to stalking rifle for Reds is one of the excellent Parker Hale conversions based on a the No.4 Action fitted with an Ajac 2.5 x scope.

If you are looking for something a bit lighter then there are the Musgrave Springbok conversions based on the No 1 action and chambered in 6mm Musgrave. .303 case necked down to .243" a fine performer.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
1902MLE

#19 Post by 1902MLE »

Hi Dromia,
I really have fallen in love with my MLE, I just need to learn to shoot it straight😂
When I picked the MLE up for the first time it just felt right in a way the SMLE doesn’t for me, I also consciously chose one with open sights as I have numerous scoped stalking rifles already, Mauser, blaser, tikka and bsa so for me it’s all about anothe tool in the box so to speak, the gun is 100% original with all matching numbers so I don’t want to ruin it by having it scoped up, I bought a 120 yr old rifle because I wanted to experience a vintage rifle for stalking 😁
FredB
Home club or Range: stourport

#20 Post by FredB »

Advice given to me 60 years ago: get a clear sight picture, the front blade in the notch, hold steady with a six-o-clock position under the bullseye. Breath fairly deeply and then, pretend that the front sight blade is attached to the trigger. Hold your breath on the way out and pull the front sight blade through the notch, without it touching the sides. ALWAYS focus on the front sight.
Fred