New member finding my way around

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Richo
Home club or Range: Sedbergh shooting club

New member finding my way around

#1 Post by Richo »

Hi All just joined the forum and finding my way around so I've probably posted this in the wrong section, my interest in shooting is the old military firearms i say old but anything over 50 years i would consider to be old enough for my collection.
I have all the usual culprits but 303 and 7.62x54r are well up my list although my 1918 03 Springfield is probably my favourite, I would like to ask if any members have any knowledge on a couple of guns i have the chance to purchsse but are not too sure if its a wise move. One is a very nice Charnwood Ordnance No4 in 7.62x51its not so old (late 80s i believe) and not so expensive, I dont know if these are worth collecting or if they shoot any better than the 303" models, consensus of opinion seems to be the L8 rifles in 7.62 were not too good!! Any comments wuld be appreciated.
The othe rifle i have the chance to purchse is for all intents and purpose a L42, it looks exactly the same, it has the no32 scope brackets on the receiver, heavy barrel and all the other bits fitted apart from the scope and mount but theres nothing to indicate what it is, all numbers and markings have been polished out apart from a four digit serial number, so i have no pretence other than its a clone of a L42, i quite like the look and condition of this gun but dont really know what its value is, the owner said make me an offer so doesn't know either.
With a replica no32 cope and mount fitted it would look like the real thing, probably wont shoot like one.
I would be greatful for any comments from fellow shooters with knowledge experience of these rifles.
Ian
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: New member finding my way around

#2 Post by GeeRam »

I've not seen any decent reports of the Charnwood Ordnance 7.62 No.4 conversions from people that have owned them, and technically they are not a military rifle, being a conversion for the civilian market.

L42's of course are very desirable and collectible, and very expensive.....well real ones are of course.
There are some good clone L42's out there that are good shooters, which can be enjoyed without the prospect of shooting a 15k collectable rifle..!!
Sound like the one you are describing is a clone, and not a real one. How much its worth all depends on who fitted the scope pads, and which repro scope pads they are, and why doesn't it have a scope with it? If its never had a scope, how do you know its even been collimated correctly...?
The repro No.32 scope's are not up to much by all accounts, and they are not correct Mk.3 scopes anyway, and won't have correct adjusted drums for the 7.62 round either so not really an option.
If the pads are correctly fitted, you could buy one of the batch of the repro brackets for the S&B L13A1 green meanie scopes. Not easy or cheap scopes to find though, (could be £1500+ for the scope, plus £450 for the mount) so you'd wanting to be getting a clone L42 without scope for £1k or under to go that route.
Itskeith
Home club or Range: Home club

#3 Post by Itskeith »

:wave: Hi Richo,

Can't help with the questions, but ... welcome
20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#4 Post by 20series »

Hi and welcome

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Geek
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#5 Post by Geek »

Hello and welcome :wave:
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

The Charnwood's collectability is only really as a curiosity of a civilian Enfield variant and not a successful one at that so somewhere around zero.

If you want a decent collectable true Enfield then look no further than the Ishapore 2A1. A fine shooting rifle it is the only 7.62/308 rifle I possess as I detest the calibre.

Sniper rifles and especially sniper clones are a minefield and legalised robbery. Once rifles start attracting such premium prices then it is worth peoples time making fakes and this just destroys the market. The L42 you describe is highly unlikely to be in any way genuine and as as already been said would be money pit with no assurance on getting it set up properly.

There are more Enfield "sniper" rifles in existence today than were ever made.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Richo

#7 Post by Richo »

Hi All
Thanks for the welcome and input, i wasn't really sure about the Charnwood made no4s and i am aware they are not military rifles which was my main issue, i just thought one would make a decent range gun but after reading other comments on the forum i have decided against buying it.
I have no illusions about this L42 clone being an original rifle, i know it isn't but i do fancy trying to get it shooting, The work thats been done to it seems to be of a high standard but i dont know anything of its history, all i do know is the previous owner had it for over 20yrs and never shot it, presumably because it didnt have a scope.
I have a No32 Mk3 scope without a mount but the lenses are all fogged up due to internal fungus so that you cant see more that 50yds, and i haven't had any luck trying to find someone capable of stripping and serving it for me otherwise imcould buy a replica mount and fit ghat one.
The pads look original to me and look like there soldered in place ( having compared it against my No4T) the woodwork has been very nicely restored but all markings have now disappeared, the action is a Mk1 but all thats left of any original marks is a very faint No4 and ROF !! the four digit number on the wrist i asume is a new serial number as it seems a little higher than normal nad what appears to be ft? stamped at the bottom. All the areas where the No4T stamps would have been placed have been polished zo making it difficult to id and the rear sight is milled but its not a metric graduated sight.
The barrel is hammer forged 4 groove R/H twist 27.1/2" long and marked on the knox DD(E)2472/5K/D68/392/K BB306 which i believe is an Enfield barrel !! Its been machine to take the CR141 magazine which is fitted and theres another spare one (but at extra cost).
As i have said i am under no illusions this is nothing but a clone but it must be worth trying to get it up and running, i cant justify spending loads of money to get something that doesnt shoot well.
Surely got to be worth a punt!!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

Personally I wouldn't touch it as you have no idea how well the mounts are fitted/aligned, regardless of the scope if the mounts are not as they should be then the rifle will never shoot.

Probably a L39 that someone started and failed to finish converting, I'd be more minded to put it back to L39 configuration.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Richo

#9 Post by Richo »

Hi Dromia
I dont know you could be correct but as i understand it all L39s were made with Mk2 or Mk1/2 actions and have suspended triggers and Mk2 forends, this is a Mk1 actions and forend.
I totally agree with your comments on the mount alignments being the most important thing but these can be checked and corrected if needs be.
I might not be a gunsmith but i am a retired machinist so am sure i can check these things out myself,it would need some mandrals and clocks to check things, that would be how it was done originally i suppose.
Richo

#10 Post by Richo »

Some photos that might help out, hopefully they come through, j am new to all this posting on forums so bare with me.
Attachments
20230410_155557.jpg
20230410_155615.jpg
20230410_155734.jpg